Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recorder for cable TV?

Options
  • 12-08-2019 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a device that can be used to record programmes on cable TV?

PS: I don't live in a Virgin Media cable area.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

What cable TV network do you want to record programmes from OP.

The usual answer is that in the case of a cable TV network where the programmes are carried encrypted then only a cable company supplied DVR will work.

(However, as an exception to this general rule, I understand that Crossan Cable in Longford carries its programmes in DVB-T and unencrypted and as such any Saorview PVR will work on that network)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

icdg wrote: »
    What cable TV network do you want to record programmes from OP.

The usual answer is that in the case of a cable TV network where the programmes are carried encrypted then only a cable company supplied DVR will work.

(However, as an exception to this general rule, I understand that Crossan Cable in Longford carries its programmes in DVB-T and unencrypted and as such any Saorview PVR will work on that network)

I'm with Smyths Cablevision, Cavan Town. I asked the man in the office whether there were any means by which I could record on the network and he said: No.

I took a look at their website, but there is very little on it other than an intriguing reference to “free multiroom”. That makes me think that it is a similar set up to Longford (unencrypted DVB-T over cable, rather than encrypted DVB-C which Virgin use).

Have a look at your set top box and see if there’s any indication as to what standards it uses, in particular if it’s “DVB-T” as you might be able to use Saorview compatible equipment, like in Longford. Or if your TV has an integrated DVB-T tuner (it might have “Saorview Approved” or similar) see if you can just plug the cable in and tune in channels.

I took a look at their website, but there is very little on it other than an intriguing reference to “free multiroom”. That makes me think that it is a similar set up to Longford (DVB-T over cable, rather than DVB-C which Virgin use).

Have a look at your set top box and see if there’s any indication as to what standards it uses, in particular if it’s “DVB-T” as you might be able to use Saorview compatible equipment, like in Longford. Or if your TV has an integrated DVB-T tuner (it might have “Saorview Approved” or similar) see if you can just plug the cable in and tune in channels.

We have integrated digital TVs connected to the Smyths network, so there is no set-top box in this case.

We've just moved into Cavan Town from an area beside Cavan General Hospital. We brought with us a Humax Freeview recorder that was useful for most Freeview channels, including HD. Could that recorder be used for the Smyths network?

That sounds like a similar set up to Longford so, you may be in luck then. Try plugging it in and see how it goes.

• Advertisement

That sounds like a similar set up to Longford so, you may be in luck then. Try plugging it in and see how it goes.

I tried it but it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I know its not a very active forum but maybe ask people on the cavan forum if they do this also?, Someone there might have it set up perhaps like what your asking for.

I tried it but it didn't work.

I know you mentioned it included HD but just to remember that while “Freeview HD” is compatible (mostly) with Saorview, plain “Freeview” is not.

That’s on the assumption that Smyths are using Saorview standards - if it is working on an iDTV with no cable company supplied equipment it appears that they must not be using encryption and there must be something off the shelf that will work.

Also, what the previous poster said

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Smyths Cablevision do indeed use unencrypted DVB-T, so there's no obvious reason why you can't use any Saorview or Freeview HD equipment.

They used to only supply now/next EPG information for most channels though (and no EPG information at all for some), which will pose a problem for recording if it's still the case.

If it is the case and you're handy with technology, a Linux receiver with twin terrestrial tuners may be ideal as you can obtain EPG information from online.

As an aside, I'm almost certain they still have their analogue TV service running with 30-40 channels. Some years ago, there were actually a handful of channels that were only available on analogue, not digital. I doubt this is still the case, but it's worth scanning just in case.

Advertisement