Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing name

Options
  • 11-08-2019 12:45am

I'm sure this has been asked before but I honestly don't know how to change my name now that we're married? Also, we bought a house just before the wedding, will we need to get a solicitor to change all the deeds to the house with my married name? And I am self employed, how do I update all that tax stuff? I'm a novice in all these things!

I know how to change my passport and driving license at least! I got in early when Gmail launched and I got my name @ Gmail.... I am upset about not being able to get the same again but hey!

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Most people I know have kept their maiden name for work given that their connections and qualifications are associated with that name but some have changed it for things like common usage and personal life. Some haven't changed their name at all.

I'm not sure you need to go to get house deeds or gmail changed though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

There is no way you can get your gmail address changed if the address that you would now like is currently occupied, which I would imagine is now very likely if you have the firstname.lastname@... format.

You do not necessarily need to change the deeds of the house to your married name at all, from any legal necessity at least.

Actually I think that you can pretty much swap and change in Ireland between your maiden and married name as suits. I also know a lot of married women who usually go by the maiden name, but use their married name on Facebook in order to stop people tracking them down from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I have everything in different names! Passport is in previous married name until it expires. Driving licence is in new married name as its a new licence. Bank account is in old name etc etc! House deeds are in old name too as we bought it after we got married but id was in my old name so left it - confused?? I am lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

skallywag wrote: »
    I also know a lot of married women who usually go by the maiden name, but use their married name on Facebook in order to stop people tracking them down from the past.

That’s hilarious.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Addle wrote: »
    That’s hilarious.

It's also useful if you want to keep your social media harder to find for prospective employers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

skallywag wrote: »
    I also know a lot of married women who usually go by the maiden name, but use their married name on Facebook in order to stop people tracking them down from the past.

how do people from the present find them?

Riskymove wrote: »
    how do people from the present find them?

Well, I guess unless they know the married name they will have a tough time. The general take will be though that anyone they would want to be in contact with will know the married name.

Neyite wrote: »
    It's also useful if you want to keep your social media harder to find for prospective employers.

Very true.

It is a nice enabler to have two identities on the go.

Don't worry, since I had a Gmail address long before the masses, I have a fair idea how that works. But the little IT lesson made me giggle.

I take it I will need actual legal advice re: our house deeds.

Surely it can't be acceptable to hold a passport or license in a name other than the one you use legally?

The Facebook thing is pretty laughable. It would take anyone with less than competent web sleuth skillz to find your married name. Just secure your account, and block anyone who's hassling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't worry, since I had a Gmail address long before the masses, I have a fair idea how that works. But the little IT lesson made me giggle.

Surely it can't be acceptable to hold a passport or license in a name other than the one you use legally?

The Facebook thing is pretty laughable. It would take anyone with less than competent web sleuth skillz to find your married name. Just secure your account, and block anyone who's hassling you.

Legally you can use whatever name you like. I don't use my birth name, I amended it a few years back and now all my documents are in that name even though it doesn't match whats on my birth certificate. I've never had a problem so far..

You can go the legal route and change your name by deed poll if it gives you peace of mind but you don't need to go to the trouble and expense.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Legally you can use whatever name you like. I don't use my birth name, I amended it a few years back and now all my documents are in that name even though it doesn't match whats on my birth certificate. I've never had a problem so far..

You can go the legal route and change your name by deed poll if it gives you peace of mind but you don't need to go to the trouble and expense.

That's what I wanted to know alright, whether I have to go change it by deed poll or what.

There is no need, from a legal perspective, to make any changes in retrospect to any legal documents which were signed in your maiden name. Some people go ahead and do so anyway, as they like using their married name and see it as part of who they are now, but from a purely legal perspective changing to the married name brings no difference.

Taking official legal advise will set your mind at ease I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Nope, no deed poll or process. Names in Ireland are common usage. So, you just start using whatever name you want and that's it. register a tesco club card with it or something, and off you go. It's the same for addresses actually.

I'm sure a lot of us will have relatives who are called Peggy or Pat, where their name on the birth cert is completely different, not even a derivative. It's great fun when looking at ancestry. I've relatives called Katherine who have Joanne as their name on birth cert, etc. Called Pat their whole life, Edward on the birth cert etc.

Ireland's a funny auld place for names.

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm sure a lot of us will have relatives who are called Peggy or Pat, where their name on the birth cert is completely different, not even a derivative.

Very true, I have come across this a lot myself, particularly in more rural areas.

Advertisement