Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melatonin

Options
  • 11-08-2019 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I'm was wondering if anyone has any experience with melatonin for aiding sleep. My sleep has been awful since childhood. I dont want to take sleeping pills due to their addictive qualities. Does melatonin work and, if so, how long does it take to work?

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Loll09 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm was wondering if anyone has any experience with melatonin for aiding sleep. My sleep has been awful since childhood. I dont want to take sleeping pills due to their addictive qualities. Does melatonin work and, if so, how long does it take to work?

Thanks for your help :)

As you know Melatonin is the sleep hormone.
    But serotonin is the precursor to melatonin production.

The precursor to melatonin is serotonin, a neurotransmitter that itself is derived from the amino acid tryptophan. Within the pineal gland, serotonin is acetylated and then methylated to yield melatonin. Synthesis and secretion of melatonin is dramatically.

Do you work on a computer or phone especially late evening, if so you might be inhibiting your melatonin production. Screens emit blue light.
    Blue light, shuts down the production of melatonin. When melatonin production is shut down, your body does not regenerate. That terrible feeling you have after an all-nighter? That’s what an absence of melatonin feels like.

Something else to consider......do you breathe through your mouth

Some people breathe through their mouths almost exclusively while others have a medical condition, such as sleep apnea, where they mainly breathe through their mouths at night.

Advertisement