Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plex - Emby - Kodi + mysql

Options
  • 10-08-2019 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Probably the wrong section but I am curious has anyone on here tried all three options and would they have any recommendations?
    I'm looking to build a media server as I want to start having my own media collect.
    Also is it possible to buy movies to store on these or do you still have to buy legacy media to copy it over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I've used Kodi and am currently using Plex.
    Kodi, as it was used to connect to streaming services, I found slow but it was customizable which was nice.
    Plex, I do like. its interface is somewhat Netflix-like and its possible to share your collection with friends and family via an email link. Which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Used them all and settled on Plex, just so stable and works on every device, two years in and its awesome. For music I would reccomend Roon but mostly people want it for movies.

As for getting media....that would be a ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

As for getting media....that would be a ecumenical matter.
    Yea, my main issue is I want to legally purchase my movies.
    I'm not one for sailing the 7 sea's as they say, I've about 3.5k disposable income per month so I'd be a right d1ck not to pay for what I use.
    I don't mind if it costs me a bit to build up my library, I'm just hating the idea of having to buy loads of discs to rip them onto drives as would take forever.

Hard to find a good site that allows download of movies. Your best best might be to buy the following.

1. A Sky + package
    2. Netflix 4k
    3. An amazon prime account
    4. Youtube Premium.

Costs about 100 euro a month and should have you well covered. PSky allow download but onto to their devices.

I have quite an extensive DVD and blueray collection but I tend to "download" a copy off the net for ones I own to have it hand on my server. I dont know of any library you can join for a reasonable fee.

Hard to find a good site that allows download of movies. Your best best might be to buy the following.

1. A Sky + package
    2. Netflix 4k
    3. An amazon prime account
    4. Youtube Premium.

Costs about 100 euro a month and should have you well covered. PSky allow download but onto to their devices.

I have quite an extensive DVD and blueray collection but I tend to "download" a copy off the net for ones I own to have it hand on my server. I dont know of any library you can join for a reasonable fee.

I have 2,3 and 4. I live in Germany at the moment so I don't believe 1 is an option.
    I also use Windows store movies a lot as you can at least own movies (prime region locks stupid amounts of movies and prevents you buying them).
    Windows store is annoying as to you cant control where on a drive you download files let alone on a server because of Microsoft's incompetence with their app/movies/games from the store.

• Advertisement

To be honest with you here, apart from being a "data hoarder" there is very little reason to download a Movie/TV show that is old enough to be available on a streaming service, generally you download the things you cannot get.

Just like you I would love there to be a service I would be glad to pay for to get all my media. I have bloody subscriptions all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

What about the newest apple TV box. I believe you can buy codes for movies very cheaply online. 4K HDR all available and performance is supposed to be excellent.

What about the newest apple TV box. I believe you can buy codes for movies very cheaply online. 4K HDR all available and performance is supposed to be excellent.
    I will look into this thanks, would this be any better than the Windows store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

deceit wrote: »
    I will look into this thanks, would this be any better than the Windows store?
    I'd imagine so. It's supposed to be an excellent option for legit movie watching. Obviously the outlay in hardware would sting slightly but you can get movies in 4K Dolby Vision for a few dollars. Definitely look into it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

To be honest with you here, apart from being a "data hoarder" there is very little reason to download a Movie/TV show that is old enough to be available on a streaming service, generally you download the things you cannot get.

There's a lot of older stuff that is hard enough to get in digital formats from any source. I still have hundreds of DVDs which I couldn't be bothered transcoding and keep an old small form factor PC with multi-region DVD player going to watch them.

• Advertisement

I decided to purchase a lifetime license for plex and give it a go.
    I installed the server on Centos. When I access the console on port 32400, it is constantly looking for a server.
    I can still manage the rest of the plex server and I can deploy remote servers but it can't find the local one, have any of you had experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Have you tried looking at the Plex logs?

z0oT wrote: »
    Have you tried looking at the Plex logs?
    In the com.plexapp.system.log it references to having found the server.
    It seems to be trying to update existing server so like it has been half added.

I'm using Plex for years now, not on Linux but rather Windows or Windows Server. The only issues I've had have been down to the Firewall blocking the ports Plex wants to use or the account I run Plex as a service with not having permission to access certain files.

Usually once I can connect to the server on 192.168.X.X:32400, everything is okay. Just get the server to log into a Plex account and everything is set after that.

I guess you've tried all the usual things - deleting the config files to revert to default, restarting the service, making sure the firewall isn't blocking something? (are you using a firewall on CentOS?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have you tried connecting to: https://[IP]:32400/web/index.html?

It's dumb, but that was an issue for me when I was setting up my Plex container at first. For some reason it wouldn't redirect from the IP to the initial setup page.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Have you tried connecting to: https://[IP]:32400/web/index.html?

It's dumb, but that was an issue for me when I was setting up my Plex container at first. For some reason it wouldn't redirect from the IP to the initial setup page.

I can navigate to this page fine (well http rather than https). The rest of the site works fine such as administration I just can't see the server on the left get added.
    It works 100% if I add a remote side instead.

I'm using Plex for years now, not on Linux but rather Windows or Windows Server. The only issues I've had have been down to the Firewall blocking the ports Plex wants to use or the account I run Plex as a service with not having permission to access certain files.

Usually once I can connect to the server on 192.168.X.X:32400, everything is okay. Just get the server to log into a Plex account and everything is set after that.

I guess you've tried all the usual things - deleting the config files to revert to default, restarting the service, making sure the firewall isn't blocking something? (are you using a firewall on CentOS?)

Which config files should be deleted to reset the install? I've tried wipe/reinstall but maybe I was missing files when uninstalling?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Coyler

I might be way off here but have to added the paths to your library? I don't ever remember having to add the local server.

deceit wrote: »
    Which config files should be deleted to reset the install? I've tried wipe/reinstall but maybe I was missing files when uninstalling?
    In the home directory of the account that you run the service as there should be a Plex Media Server directory. All the metadata for the libraries and configuration files are stored in it.

Stop the Plex service with systemd (if that's what you're using), delete the directory and then restart the service, it'll force everything back to default with no libraries added.

Here are the Paths:
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/202915258-where-is-the-plex-media-server-data-directory-located/

It might be worth trying the Plex forums aswell, you'll probably get better help specific to CentOS there.

Coyler wrote: »
    I might be way off here but have to added the paths to your library? I don't ever remember having to add the local server.

The issue I have is like this one so I can't add libraries. Its supposed to automatically add a local server after the server is built but it doesn't.
    https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-server-on-centos-7-minimal/188271

• Advertisement

In the home directory of the account that you run the service as there should be a Plex Media Server directory. All the metadata for the libraries and configuration files are stored in it.

Stop the Plex service with systemd (if that's what you're using), delete the directory and then restart the service, it'll force everything back to default with no libraries added.

Here are the Paths:
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/202915258-where-is-the-plex-media-server-data-directory-located/

It might be worth trying the Plex forums aswell, you'll probably get better help specific to CentOS there.

Ah okay then I tried this also. thanks for checking.

Just for consistencies sake, I resolved this issue by creating a tunnel to the server from port 8888 to 32400 so I could connect to the headless server as localhost.
    This allowed me to complete the final part of the config and set up the local server:
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288586-installation/?_ga=2.118185673.1117988392.1568139386-484513489.1567946219

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Coyler

Ah, it's all making sense now. Good to know.

Advertisement