Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to reboot my wardrobe

Options
  • 10-08-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭

I really feel like throwing away half the clothes in my wardrobe and starting again from scratch. I've lost my way a bit stylewise and need to restart my wardrobe.
    I've spent most of the summer wearing cropped trousers with various tops and summer dresses for going out. I was going out last night and felt so uncomfortable back in skinny jeans (not helped by post holiday weight gain).
    I have loads of summer clothes that I did not wear and I really don't want to go back to the old reliables for Autumn/Winter. Do I throw everything into the charity bags and start again? Should I get rid of everything that doesn't 'spark joy'?
    I need a complete reboot with new shapes/styles - Help !!
    I cycle to work so trousers/jeans are best. I need nice things to wear at weekends. I'm a bit lost, all suggestions welcome.

Edit: I'm 5ft zero, size 10 trousers/12 tops. I like casual clothes with a bit of an edge, not exactly Zandra Rhodes but I love strong colours and funky accessories. I dislike lace/animal prints/high necks. I hate my old lady upper arms so I usually opt for short or 3/4 length sleeves.
    I just realised that you younger ladies will be wondering who the hell is Zandra Rhodes

https://www.google.com/search?q=zandra+rhodes&client=firefox-b-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=E1phCv-X-nZ2sM%253A%252CfUjF8B_7BTWjdM%252C%252Fm%252F05vnsy&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kR_OFmTHeVhyzdPZxWxhGbk6vtXdw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiH0OTAtfjjAhUmURUIHdbHBBYQ_B0wDHoECAoQAw#imgrc=E1phCv-X-nZ2sM:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Regarding the summer clothes you didn't wear this year, get rid. You didn't use them this year, you won't use them next year! I try my best to do this after every Autumn/Winter and Spring/Summer.

For AW coming up, maybe pull out all the clothes and get a good look at what's there. There's probably some stuff that you do really like and could perhaps update with a new top/bottom or accessory. I had a phase where I'd loads of skirts and no tops to go with them, so I laid them all out and kept the ones I knew I could reasonably find a top to match (eg I had three leather skirts in various colours, so one good quality black polo neck made them all wearable instantly!). Anything that would require something really specific to make an outfit got chucked.

Mango can be a real gem, especially for trousers. I like & Other Stories and Weekday too.

What "old reliables" have you got in the wardrobe that you do actually like and would like more of or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million Twee, everything you say makes so much sense. I am definitely chucking the summer stuff out. The alternative is to vacuum pack them, put them at the top of the wardrobe, take them out next year and don't wear them:D
    I'm going to do as you suggest and take everything out and see what I really like. We don't have a dress code in work so I tend to wear skinny trousers with various tops. Cycling to work makes it a bit awkward, so dresses are usually out. I'm sick of skinnys so I bought a couple of pairs of nice trousers in Mango(agree with you there). I definitely need some tops and a couple of pairs of loafers to team with them.
    I have a day off this week and I will blitz that wardrobe !!
    Don't get me started on the wardrobe in the spare room, that where all the dresses I bought for weddings are kept. Worn once or twice and left hanging.
    Will I ever learn :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I am by no means an angel in this regard, but I do have a constant charity bag on the go. As soon as I drop one off, I put another out in the laundry room and sometimes it just occours to me that I don't love a particular item anymore so just pop it in the bag.

I also don't allow myself to buy any more hangers, so if I've run out, then that means something has to go!
    Its really very cathartic giving stuff away!

I'm also ruthless now about returning things if I feel I've made an error in purchasing it in the first place.

Also, when you're looking to buy new items, try to imagine what you'd pair it with. If it doesnt go with anything, chances are you won't wear it so put it back. Focus on getting some classic basics. I've banned myself from Penneys and other cheaper/fast fashion shops for numerous reasons, but primarily because anything I've bought from there tends not to last. You're much better off spending a bit more to get something well cut and in a good quality fabric that will feel good to wear again and again.

I don't wear half the stuff in my wardrobe, so I could absolutely improve myself, but I'm trying to live by the above.

Great hints there Soz, I particularly like the permanent charity bag and as for not buying hangers - pure genius.
    D Day is tomorrow and I'm going to take Twee's advice and take everything out and start from there. I normally go through trousers/tops/jumpers etc individually so hopefully a different approach will reap rewards.
    Have to agree with you about the Penneys sh1te, I throw so much of it into the charity bags. Definitely going to buy fewer but better quality items.
    Fun day ahead tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hope it's going well for you jos! I really do find it helps to think in outfits rather than individual pieces. I pack my bags for holidays the same way.

• Advertisement

Phew, I'm exhausted !!! All that trying on is very tiring. Very productive day and I actually have far more to wear than I thought. I took the 'outfit' approach and was surprised to see what I put together. I seem to have a lot of little jackets which look nice with a bright top underneath and look good with jeans/trousers.
    I have 3 large bags for the charity shop, I was ruthless :D
    I probably need a couple of pieces of knitwear, some loafers and that's about it. Might buy a black skirt too but that's about it.
    Many thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement