Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phuket for Two Weeks in Low Season?

Options
  • 10-08-2019 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'll be heading to Karon beach in Phuket with my boyfriend for two weeks at the end of the month. We're in our twenties and fairly budget conscious but willing to spend on a few big special excursions.

We're aware it's low season and don't mind a bit of rain but wondering how much bad weather we should really expect? Do the tours to the Phi Phi islands and such still run usually around this time of year? It's something we are considering.

In terms of itinerary we've picked a few things we definitely want to do:
    - Elephant Jungle Sanctuary trip
    - Big Buddha
    - Phuket town
    - Bangla Road of course
    - Would like to go to a ladyboy show for the craic
    - Beaches of course and exploring

Can anyone think of anything fun we should add to the list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Bringing this back as heading in June for two weeks. First time going to Thailand/Phuket so any recommendations? Any Do's or dont's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm not a fan of Phuket, I find it the cess-pit of Thailand (Granted it's not Pattaya).

We're a lover of the water, so the time we did spent in Phuket this time (just back from Thailand, stayed in Phuket for a few nights as visiting a friend from home), we did lots of boat tours.

• Speedboat trip concentrating on PhangNa Bay (beautiful). You'll go to James Bond Island which is touristy but I actually liked it
    • Speedboat trip concentrating on Khao Yao / East PhangaNa Bay
    • Yes, you can do day trips to PhiPhi via SpeedBoat, but honestly, spend a night or two there. Yes, it's gotten a bit too commercial (like the rest of Thailand) but it's not the backpacker mess it once was.... the young messy backpackers can't afford Thailandn anymore. Found PhiPhi much more concentrated with couples / families. The beaches are lovely, the 'hikes' are easy and a good way to get your steps up while enjoying nice views. Also, from PhiPhi
    • You CAN do a trip to the Similans from Phuket, but you'll be spending 2hr driving each way to / from Khao Lak (departure point), but it is possible, but exhausting... don't know if i'd recommend it (But the Similans are, without a doubt, the nicest islands / water in the whole of Thailand)

I won't go into much more detail as you are confirmed you're staying in Karon Beach (which, in fairness, is a nice part of Phuket).

I have driven in many parts of SE Asia and put up almost 1000Km in Thailand this trip, but Phuket is one place I will not drive (i'll drive in Bangkok before Phuket). The driving is just too fast and aggressive. Just my opinion, if you are considering it. Make sure you have a bike licence (not moped licence, scooters over there are 150cc), International Permit, Insurance for driving the cc bike you're on and wear your helmet.

Enjoy! We've been going to Thailand / SE Asia for 10 years now (with the exception of COVID). Got back on the 17th Jan and we are already planning next years trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Phuket is grand, as long as you're not in Patong, which is seedy and dirty as hell. Karon, Kata and Kamala are all nice beaches, with plenty around to do. Stayed in Kamala ourselves the last 2 time I've been in Thailand and its a nice little village, with a great beach further away from the town.

Apart from the advice above, go to Phuket town for a day, its not touristy and not pretty, but is probably the most authentic Thai place on the island and there's plenty of things to do, places to eat, temples to see etc. Actually, Bang Tao is another area that would be lively off-season. It's between the airport and Kamala and is home to a lot of ex-pats, local Thai's, doesn't have the big-name hotel brands like other towns, but hosts a lot of Thai tourists

Advertisement