Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK LTE Tablet in Ireland

Options
  • 09-08-2019 5:46pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the stupid question but my understanding is that LTE means that there's a SIM card in the tablet which allows for mobile connectivity, I think I've an old Kindle with it.

My questions are what speeds can you expect to get, I assume 4G but off what network? Also, is there is a monthly charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

Check the specs of the tablet and which bands it is using for LTE (You need 3(1800) & 20(800) ) here.
    Some devices come with different band support for various regions/markets.

https://signalsolution.novatel.ie/irish-operators-and-frequencies

It would be 4G as LTE is the same name for it.

To use it, you would have to signup to a data plan with network of your choosing. Same as a phone.
    (or just use PAYG ~ 'all you can eat' sim in it).

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

A lot of the time it makes more sense just to use your phone as a hotspot and connect to it via the tablets WiFi.

All apart from Vodafone don't charge for tethering (mobile hotspot) as far as I know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ah right, there's just a sim card slot in the tablet, you've to get a data plan yourself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    A lot of the time it makes more sense just to use your phone as a hotspot and connect to it via the tablets WiFi.

All apart from Vodafone don't charge for tethering (mobile hotspot) as far as I know.

That's what I do at the moment but I had it in my head that the tablet automatically connected to a mobile network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Clareman wrote: »
    That's what I do at the moment but I had it in my head that the tablet automatically connected to a mobile network
    I think Kindles were set up like that so probably confused you. I'd just hotspot it to save money once you've enough of a data cap on your mobile plan.
    It would be worth trying your phone SIM in it just to make sure it's not network locked so at least you'll know in case you need to use it in future.

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »
    I think Kindles were set up like that so probably confused you. I'd just hotspot it to save money once you've enough of a data cap on your mobile plan.
    It would be worth trying your phone SIM in it just to make sure it's not network locked so at least you'll know in case you need to use it in future.
    Yeah the kindle threw me, still works as a standalone device on 3g.

I'll stick with the mobile hotspot, it's a feature I use the whole time for the kids as it is as its easier than setting their tablets up on new WiFi networks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'm on Vodafone and tethering works fine with no charges. Can even use IPTV through the phones internet and its perfect.

I'm on Vodafone and Virgin Media, no problem with tethering on either.

rizzee wrote: »
    I'm on Vodafone and tethering works fine with no charges. Can even use IPTV through the phones internet and its perfect.

It depends on what phone you are using to tether. The newer versions of android have the APNs locked downon most phones meaning it can end up using the HS.vodafone.com APN which you will get charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

It depends on what phone you are using to tether. The newer versions of android have the APNs locked downon most phones meaning it can end up using the HS.vodafone.com APN which you will get charged for.

Galaxy S8, A50 and A70 with latest versions of Android all fine with no charges.

• Advertisement

Galaxy S8, A50 and A70 with latest versions of Android all fine with no charges.

In your APN settings do you see one or two APNs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

[Root Required + VPN account] If you need to mask your tethering so your ISP doesn't know try: -

VPN Tether or VPN Hotspot - tethering/Wi-Fi repeater
    ^^^ Instructions here

I use the Tether app to apply root settings and switch to hotspot as my preferred app.

With all traffic rooted through the VPN, the ISP won't know.

Android/ISP blocks adding 'dun' setting to your APN now.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 add Galaxy A6 (2018) to that list, no charge with Vodafone for tethering. Used >1GB with hotspot tethering last week in Kerry conecting a wi-fi tablet to the network via the phone and my (billpay) Vodafone account is showing no additional charges.
    In your APN settings do you see one or two APNs?

There are two on mine but only one is selectable. First (selected) one is Vodafone IE Live! and the second is Vodafone IE MMS. An update was pushed to the phone this morning so s/w is bang up to date. Android 9.

I've been using tethering via Virgin and Vodafone for years and have never had a problem

Advertisement