Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridesmaid dresses

Options
  • 09-08-2019 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone suggestions for some alternative bridesmaid dresses.

My sister is late 40’s and trying to avoid looking like she’s attending a grad!

Her typical brands to wear would be more high end good quality, yet casual and she hates the idea of a full length typical bridesmaid dress. So far she has condemned Folkster, Asos, caris closet etc. This is fine by me. She’s also on the short side 5.3 I’d say, and not into too high a heel so lots of floor length dresses won’t look as flattering if taken up.

I need to get her sorted she’s a bit clueless when it comes to this as she has her own set style. I have two other bridesmaids aswell.

Any suggestions for boutiques or brands that may have something suitable appreciated, I’m currently liking Temperley London but the dresses wouldn’t be her style either - too boho!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭fits

What kind of styles/ labels would she normally wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

fits wrote: »
    What kind of styles/ labels would she normally wear?

We’re both into Escada, Moncler, hilfiger, Ellie Tahari, Hugo Boss, Joseph, Luisa Cerano if that helps. So more dressy casual. She wouldn’t ever shop in Warehouse, Oasis etc whereas I would. I don’t think she’s ever worn a full length dress either for parties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Maybe try phase 8? They’ve a lot of their dresses on the debenhams website and have a large selection in arnotts and house of Fraser too. I’ve gotten them for a few occasions over the last few years.

Ok Im not really familiar with any of those brands or how they would look, so I'll pass on this one.

I will say though, why dont you pick an easy colour and let them choose themselves? I just had one bridesmaid and she got a 100% silk dress in a sale for half nothing. I just said to get something in navy.

Ok Im not really familiar with any of those brands or how they would look, so I'll pass on this one.

I will say though, why dont you pick an easy colour and let them choose themselves? I just had one bridesmaid and she got a 100% silk dress in a sale for half nothing. I just said to get something in navy.

Thanks all the same! I wouldn’t risk getting her to choose herself!
    I haven’t a clue what colours I want. I’d prefer the bridesmaids to have a colour that suits them and I know my favourite colours would wash my sister and friends out unfortunately. She won’t wear navy anyways - too “nunnish” apparently..!

• Advertisement

Ok errr well good luck! :D

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Maybe try phase 8? They’ve a lot of their dresses on the debenhams website and have a large selection in arnotts and house of Fraser too. I’ve gotten them for a few occasions over the last few years.

Thank you I had looked at their website alright and they have a lovely selection but if at all possible that’s the style she wants to avoid.

We don’t really know what we want but we’d love it to be different to the usual if that makes sense!

See this op? all different dresses and colours but from a pallette and pulled together with bouquet and loose hair etc. It wouldnt be the easiest approach but it is lovely.

Love-My-Dress-Wedding-Directory-Little-Book.png

See this op? all different dresses and colours but from a pallette and pulled together with bouquet and loose hair etc. It wouldnt be the easiest approach but it is lovely.

Love-My-Dress-Wedding-Directory-Little-Book.png

Thanks so much -finally someone who gets my vision!

Going by this wedding guest type outfits would be fine - which doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
    Would it be weird though if the best men were in matching suits and the bridesmaids in different dresses?

Thanks for the inspo!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What about some Italian brands like Marella or Penny Black? Some Max Mara maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm not very familiar with "labels" but I tend to go by silhouette.

A waist? full skirt or straight? bare shoulders? Boozalums displayed or flattened out?

Ballet length tends to be very flattering for most shapes and heights. And a kitten heel is fine at this length.

"Rock Frocks" at Athy have some lovely, feminine, timeless classic sort of swing dresses, suit any age.

PS 5 ft 3 is not short!

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I'm not very familiar with "labels" but I tend to go by silhouette.

A waist? full skirt or straight? bare shoulders? Boozalums displayed or flattened out?

Ballet length tends to be very flattering for most shapes and heights. And a kitten heel is fine at this length.

"Rock Frocks" at Athy have some lovely, feminine, timeless classic sort of swing dresses, suit any age.

PS 5 ft 3 is not short!

Thanks for the input, At this stage we still haven’t an idea as to what style, so cant comment “silhouette” on type - she’ll have to try on style to see what suits and to see what she feels confident in.

I had a look at that range of dresses you mentioned and they certainly wouldn’t appeal to me. No offence but personally swing style dresses would massively emphasis the hips and draw attention to an area I would like to hide.

They have some other styles but again it’s a certain “look” that i wouldn’t be into and a lot of the time dresses like that need a confident wearer - it makes all the difference. Also I’m about 5 ft 2 and have a short back so long dresses drown me, my sister is marginally taller than me with a similar shape so will look at more mid length styles.

As wedding is next August it difficult to see dresses at the minute that would suit warm humid weather. I can see now why people just stick to typical bridesmaid shops it’s far easier..!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What's your budget for the bridesmaid dresses? If you are looking at Temperley price range you could check Roksanda. Also do you need to go for bridesmaid type dresses? I'm 41, not into designer brands and I find most bridesmaid dresses awful. Asking someone in their late forties to wear some shapeless ball of polyester probably won't be most enthusiastically recieved. Also if you are open to more expensive dresses wouldn't it make sense to fly somewhere like London and try on different options there. Sterling exchange is good at the moment so it might not be that much more expensive.

meeeeh wrote: »
    What's your budget for the bridesmaid dresses? If you are looking at Temperley price range you could check Roksanda. Also do you need to go for bridesmaid type dresses? I'm 41, not into designer brands and I find most bridesmaid dresses awful. Asking someone in their late forties to wear some shapeless ball of polyester probably won't be most enthusiastically recieved. Also if you are open to more expensive dresses wouldn't it make sense to fly somewhere like London and try on different options there. Sterling exchange is good at the moment so it might not be that much more expensive.

Some great suggestions there thanks. Would love a trip to London but won’t be anytime this year I’d say.

Budget I suppose nothing over €500 I’d imagine, we haven’t really put a figure on it. Roksanda dresses are really wow, but again I’m not sure she’d pull the look off, you would need super confidence to look well in one.

Also if the other two girls are in different, less expensive dresses, the more expensive dress will obviously stand out more and they may take offence to that..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

At €500/dress you could look at getting something made that would fit each BM perfectly, but it is a big ask in terms of going for fittings etc, much more than just buying off the rack.

Some dresses you might need to use your imagination on, think what they'd be like with an elegant shoe and hair accessory.

Reiss has some options that I think could be really dressed up for the occasion

https://www.reiss.com/ie/p/wrap-front-midi-dress-womens-marling-in-teal-blue/?category_id=1121&gaEeList=W%20-%20Dresses

https://www.reiss.com/ie/p/slim-fit-dress-womens-madison-in-bright-green/?category_id=1121&gaEeList=W%20-%20Dresses

Advertisement