Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Fine

Options
  • 09-08-2019 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

A fine for a minor driving offence arrived to my parents house recently, not to my address (no idea how this was).

Could I just ignore? Never got the fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

What country is the fine from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

France

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Boards cannot condone ignoring a notice from any court. Might be advisable to sort this in case you come under notice later if driving in France.
    Also notify your insurer.
    Leaving open for general discussion subject to rule on legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

If it's one fine for a nominal amount just pay it and be done, you'll otherwise have it hanging over your head for any future ventures in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

chases0102 wrote: »
    A fine for a minor driving offence arrived to my parents house recently, not to my address (no idea how this was).
    What address is associated with your driving licence?

Is not keeping this address up to date an offence?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Is this a fine from a foreign court? Or a fine from a foreign police or traffic warden.

If its from a court and you intend to travel back to that country you need to think about that.

If its from the police or parking etc you can forget about it. To take it further they would have to take you to court. They cannot summons you from a foreign country.

Remember a fine does not mean you are guilty. Only a court can decide that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Turner wrote: »
    Is this a fine from a foreign court? Or a fine from a foreign police or traffic warden.

If its from a court and you intend to travel back to that country you need to think about that.

If its from the police or parking etc you can forget about it. To take it further they would have to take you to court. They cannot summons you from a foreign country.

Remember a fine does not mean you are guilty. Only a court can decide that

Foreign jurisdictions can issue a summons, they do not compel you to attend, but allow a conviction in absentia, this is provided for under the provisions of the Council of Europe Treaty No.30, the "European Convention on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters", which has been signed/ratified by over 90 countries many of which have given the Convention legal force via their national legislation. Here's a post where I explained the legal provisions for the UK for example.

Here's another post where I detailed the mechanisms for fine recovery.

The provisions of the Convention on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters between the Member States of the European Union, the Cross-Border Enforcement Directive and the EU Council Framework Decision 2005/214/JHA - the Principle of Mutual Recognition to Financial Penalties have all been given legal effect here and in all other EU states via national legislation.

Advertisement