Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bike fit

Options
  • 09-08-2019 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Howdy,
    First post on the cycling forum. Just interested in hearing peoples opinions on the best proper bike fit they ever had. Im talking 1 hour plus full bells and whistles job. I've heard the retul ones are the bomb. Pricey though....but if anyone has had one done?? Heard cycle super store have a super duper fit studio now too?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

i got mine done at base2race. My first one and it was brilliant. From start to finish he made me feel like welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I have used Aidan Hammond for my last 2 bikes and can't recommend him enough. excellent service and very thorough. He had my measurements on file from the first bike so I was able to get advice from him (by email, no charge) on sizing for my second bike, he was happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had a proper bike fit done in June 2014. The saddle was raised 5cm from where i'd had it for the previous 2 or 3 years (and was comfortable on) I just couldn't get on with the new position despite trying for several weeks. I felt nervous and jittery on the bike as I felt so high off the ground and as a result my average speed dropped from 27/28kmph to 24/25kmph. I couldn't descend at any speed at all and was on the brakes all the time. I was starting to dislike cycling and started going out on the bike less.

So I had no option but to drop the saddle down 4cm with the intent of raising it gradually over a few months however have never done so. I was so comfortable on the bike and done Mizen to Malin in Sept 2014 with the saddle 4cm lower than the fitter recommended. Its still at that height and I have no intention of ever raising it.

All the saddle height calculators also put the saddle within a few mm of where the bike fit put it but it simply doesn't suit me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The saddle was raised 5cm from where i'd had it for the previous 2 or 3 years
    that's bananas; i had always understood that you should never adjust your saddle more than 5 or 10mm at a time, to be told to do that in one go is weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

I setup my bikes myself, I never have any issues or pains even after 5/6 hours in the mountains, but curiosity got the better of me and I booked a fit with one of the most respected fitters, he lowered my saddle by 5mm and that was it, €160 please, I think I did some stretching for the rest of the session ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've mentioned before, but i've talked to two different bike shop owners who said they could get you to 85% of what a full professional bike fit can offer, by eye, for free. unless you've a weird body shape, or niggling issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

i've mentioned before, but i've talked to two different bike shop owners who said they could get you to 85% of what a full professional bike fit can offer, by eye, for free. unless you've a weird body shape, or niggling issues.

Would be good to see that tested somehow. It would let people know what difference exists between both.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Cionn wrote: »
    I have used Aidan Hammond for my last 2 bikes and can't recommend him enough. excellent service and very thorough. He had my measurements on file from the first bike so I was able to get advice from him (by email, no charge) on sizing for my second bike, he was happy to help.

I’ve also had a fit with Aidan and would definitely recommend. We’ve had a few bike fit days arranged for the club and all happy To the best of my knowledge. It’s not cheap but you get a better price doing it that way so if you’re part of a club you could see if others are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I mailed Aidan with a question (which bike frame size fits me better in a given geometry) about four years after money last changed hands. Rapid and helpful response. So...great after-sales service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Aidan Hammond is your man, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭lissard

Considering all the other expensive things you can blow money on in cycling, a good bike fit has really good bang for buck. Over 1000s of kms having the right position on the bike cuts down on back pain and knee pain. I like to think of it as preventative physiotherapy. Another vote here for Aidan Hammond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Has anyone contact info for Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Junior

Address: Le Blaireau, Quill Road, Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow
    Open ⋅ Closes 8 p.m.

Phone: (01) 276 5715

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jacky_Macky

Thanks for all the replies folks. Sorry been out of action for a while. Looks like Aidan is the man so. Feel fairly happy with the position this week though. Must be having a good one ha ha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+1 for Aidan. Alot of lads offering it based on what a kit or tool system tells them. Aidan starts with asking ng what you want or what type of riding you want to do and then gets you closer. Been twice and every time has been hugely beneficial.

can someone tell me how this works?

Do I get this done before getting a new bike, to work our what I need to buy and then get them to set it up once I've bought the bike, or just opt for a bike and take it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Buy the bike, the shop website will have the summary indication of size based on height. Do note that different manufacturers have different sizing. If you are buying from a shop, the sales people will know what to recommend. The bike fit is more a fine tuning and personalisation of the final fit.

i would have thought that if you haven't bought the bike, go for the fit with the measurements for your intended purchase, get the fit, and they can tell you if it's a decent fit or not, and then also what way to set it up once you have it?

i would have thought that if you haven't bought the bike, go for the fit with the measurements for your intended purchase, get the fit, and they can tell you if it's a decent fit or not, and then also what way to set it up once you have it?

that is kind of what i was hoping.

The Orbea site tells me one thing and the shop another, so before i go and spend my kid's inheritance on a bike, I'd like to make sure I get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So what will the fitter fit you on if you haven’t bought the bike??? Your assuming a fitter has multiple bikes available in different sizes and geometries.

I think the ideal way and what most bike fitters would advise is to go to your LBS and tell them what kind of bike you want, race. endurance, sportive etc and get the correct size and then book a fitting to get dialled in on the actual bike you will be riding.

You could email the fitter and say your buying a bike, and you'd like to book a fitting. Maybe the bike shop will have two sizes or the fitter could give you ball park figures based on the model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It's a few years since I had my bike fit done. I was constantly cramping and getting lower back pain. Had it done with John Shortt ( Bikefit Ireland)
    IIRC, he put me up 35mm and forward 20mm. Told me take it easy for a couple of weeks to allow me adjust to the changes in position. I went out 2 days later and did the Reservoir Dog sportive, 125km, 2000m climbing, no cramps or back pains :D

Daroxtar wrote: »
    IIRC, he put me up 35mm and forward 20mm.
    at the saddle or the bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

So what will the fitter fit you on if you haven’t bought the bike??? Your assuming a fitter has multiple bikes available in different sizes and geometries.

http://www.bikefitstudio.ie/bike-fitting-services/

There's a retul fit called muve, they use an adjustable 'bike', they can move saddle height, reach, stack, everything really. You let them know a bike you are looking at and they will tell you if it will fit and what changes you might need to make to get it to fit. It's expensive enough but will make sure you get the right size. If your a member of cycling Ireland I'm pretty sure you would have got a 50 euro off vouncher for that company too.

I've never used one of these fits so can't talk about how good they are, but I know for TT bikes they are really recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

at the saddle or the bars?

Saddle. I was a fair bit off.

joey100 wrote: »
    http://www.bikefitstudio.ie/bike-fitting-services/

There's a retul fit called muve, they use an adjustable 'bike', they can move saddle height, reach, stack, everything really. You let them know a bike you are looking at and they will tell you if it will fit and what changes you might need to make to get it to fit. It's expensive enough but will make sure you get the right size. If your a member of cycling Ireland I'm pretty sure you would have got a 50 euro off vouncher for that company too.

I've never used one of these fits so can't talk about how good they are, but I know for TT bikes they are really recommended.

that looks like what I am after.

It effectively pays for my annual membership as well :)

I also went to Aidan Hammond, and while I thought it was expensive, it has improved the comfort on the bike considerably.
    Instead of back pain after doing 100km at the weekend, I felt nothing, no pain at all, next day grand.

I also went to Aidan Hammond, and while I thought it was expensive, it has improved the comfort on the bike considerably.
    Instead of back pain after doing 100km at the weekend, I felt nothing, no pain at all, next day grand.

It always seems expensive at the time, but the other way to look at it is, if you don't go near him for 3 years, that is less a euro every weekend to make your back pain not be there. If you still got the back pain, would you hand over a euro to make it disappear once a week?

• Advertisement
Advertisement