Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan Fridge Repair

Options
  • 08-08-2019 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Recently bought a 1998 Bailey Ranger 500/5 caravan, the Electrolux fridge isn't working, any advice if this is a DIY job or recommended repair companies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What type of fridge is it 12V only 12V/240V or 12V/240V/Gas

What's not working, is it getting 12V could it be that the fridge only works of 12V when it's being towed ?

For me it would be a DIY diagnose then see if I could fix it. But everybody is different.

Who did you buy it off any comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Following!
    Are there any companies or tradesmen that actually mend these?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

mickburke7 wrote: »
    Recently bought a 1998 Bailey Ranger 500/5 caravan, the Electrolux fridge isn't working, any advice if this is a DIY job or recommended repair companies?

Is it not working on gas, 12v and mains. Lights coming on?

If left idle for long periods the ammonia can stratify inside. You can solve that by removing and inverting the fridge for a few times leave inverted for a few minutes until the gurgling stops completely between inversions and leave it upright overnight before powering on again.

If the fridge has been operated like that for long or overheated you can get crystallisation inside which is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mickburke7

Its a 3 way Electrolux fridge, the previous owner told me it used to work but hasn't for a while, he didn't try fix it as it was easier to bring a portable instead. I only purchased a couple of days ago so haven't tried 12V , 230V or gas but assume none work based on his information. I will try all over the next few days to confirm.

Quick update - I got the fridge running and cooling on gas.

When I turn the 230V green switch on, it doesn't illuminate and the fridge doesn't cool.

All other 230V appliances work and the fridge is not tripped.

I am hoping its only the heating element as I read somewhere??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mickburke7 wrote: »
    Quick update - I got the fridge running and cooling on gas.

When I turn the 230V green switch on, it doesn't illuminate and the fridge doesn't cool.

All other 230V appliances work and the fridge is not tripped.

I am hoping its only the heating element as I read somewhere??

Sounds like the heating element on. Fairly common and a cheap fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Check its getting power more likely it's not fully installed or there is a plug you don't know about.

I purchsed the 230V heating element off e-bay for £38stg including delivery and fitted it myself.

The fridge is now working

Advertisement