Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to automatically forward SMS to WhatsApp or similar

Options
  • 07-08-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I work in the offshore industry and so am out of mobile phone range frequently but have internet.
    Recently, when trying to buy or book anything online my bank card providers are all sending me a code via SMS to verify my identity. Not much good to me and they don't appear to have an alternative.

Is there a way I can forward a text automatically to an app such as WhatsApp ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure about whatsapp. I use SMS+ back up. It syncs with your gmail where you can view texts/calls

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&hl=en_IE

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

Is that fast or does it do it on a set time etc.

Ideally I need something 'instant'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

GBX wrote: »
    Not sure about whatsapp. I use SMS+ back up. It syncs with your gmail where you can view texts/calls

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&hl=en_IE
    That'll need the phone to be in coverage to receive the message first no? OP you'll need either a dedicated SIM+Phone that can be left at home or some kind of virtual number.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

Check IFTTT, they have some scripts to forward your texts to your email address or as push notification to your other one (if you have one) that has IFTTT app installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

xckjoo wrote: »
    That'll need the phone to be in coverage to receive the message first no? OP you'll need either a dedicated SIM+Phone that can be left at home or some kind of virtual number.

Hadnt thought of that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Maybe ask your bank if they have an alternative method other than SMS verification for payments?

You never know they may have something else in place for this type of scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Possible solution is if you are with Eir and have a compatible phone Eir allow text to be sent or received over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

RCS messaging is being rolled out in Android by the big G!
    The have rolled out in UK and France in the last week or two and I'm hopeful that Ireland will be soon, but there's not a public timeline/roadmap.

This is SMS over WiFi/Data by way, so no more need of that pesky mobile operator :)

Advertisement