Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External House Painting - first coat

Options
  • 07-08-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im looking at painting my house this year. House is 5 years old and has never been painted before.

Iv got a guy to price it , and price is good, but I asked would he be putting an undercoat on it first, and he said no need for an undercoat, as they would put a "pva bonding" in the paint, and then one coat would be enough.

Is this correct / sufficient?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I dunno to be honest im sure someone will get back to you - dok_golf seems to know alot about painting
    BUt reminds me of a guy who was doing/had done a load of houses on the road i was living on (plenty of elderly residents) and knocked on mine asking did I want mine done. He told me the paint he uses is german and it would insulate the house aswell :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi,
    Im looking at painting my house this year. House is 5 years old and has never been painted before.

Iv got a guy to price it , and price is good, but I asked would he be putting an undercoat on it first, and he said no need for an undercoat, as they would put a "pva bonding" in the paint, and then one coat would be enough.

Is this correct / sufficient?

Complete & utter ....ox with the PVA in the paint.

In passing, why paint it, its just more work down the road, especially if its a jerry job

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

In passing, why paint it, its just more work down the road, especially if its a jerry job
    Go into the likes of Johnstones or AIC in tallaght. They suppliers of the paint will tell you exactly what should be done with the product. I'm not doubting your painter but I've had two new homes painted and both painters put on two coats with the first coat having pva mixed in. Get more quotes and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭upyaboyanow

so are you saying 2 coats needed? Yes or no?

I dont even know what PVA is , so hard to argue with them.

Go into the likes of Johnstones or AIC in tallaght. They suppliers of the paint will tell you exactly what should be done with the product. I'm not doubting your painter but I've had two new homes painted and both painters put on two coats with the first coat having pva mixed in. Get more quotes and advice

im living in Limerick . Any good suppliers down here?

What is PVA by the way?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

PVA... as in the glue kids use for arts n crafts...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

2 coats is needed on a never before painted exterior masonry.
    Make sure your painter adds a product call floetrol into the 1st coat paint, it’s makes much better adhesion to walls.
    On cills and capping which would be mass concrete, a 1st coat of alkali resisting primer is needed, then 2 coats of your chosen colour.
    Pat Mcdonnell paints for all your materials in limerick would be the place to go

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

so are you saying 2 coats needed? Yes or no?

I dont even know what PVA is , so hard to argue with them.

Its Not hard to argue or ask why when it's your house. Again every dedicated paint store or supplier will give you advice but a lot depends on the paint you have picked. Google paint suppliers near you and drop in. You might even get your paint cheaper. Madness not to speak to some one in person if you are unsure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Maybe these lads have moved on to painting walls?

https://www.facebook.com/andy.cash.334/videos/697201737094414/?t=1

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I had to paint ours last year
    Not the first time
    Slight change of colour, little darker but needed 2 coats
    Doubt even on a first off paint one coat would be enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

My house was 7 years old before I painted it, one gable wall was getting dirty with algae starting to appear. I lightly power washed it, put some Mosgo algae killer on it and left it for a month. Then the whole house got a coat of Pliolite, its an oil based under coat for new walls, it was tinted to roughly the same colour as the main walls. Then 2 coats of Dulux after that. That was 5 years ago and it still looks like the day it was done.

2 coats is needed on a never before painted exterior masonry.
    Make sure your painter adds a product call floetrol into the 1st coat paint, it’s makes much better adhesion to walls.
    On cills and capping which would be mass concrete, a 1st coat of alkali resisting primer is needed, then 2 coats of your chosen colour.
    Pat Mcdonnell paints for all your materials in limerick would be the place to go

Thanks for that romaderwdcsax.
    Did you use any of that "Pliolite" which Czhornet is recommended below?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Thanks for that romaderwdcsax.
    Did you use any of that "Pliolite" which Czhornet is recommended below?

I’ve only ever used pliolite paint on interior mass concrete in large areas on building sites.
    It would work perfectly on exterior of houses, but weather shield would be the most popular exterior paint.

Advertisement