Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed Connecting Flight Chill Travel insurance

Options
  • 06-08-2019 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I was recently travelling to Cancun Mexico from Ireland on a holiday organised by Tour America. Flight was operated by Delta from Dublin to Atlanta and then i was getting a connecting flight from Atlanta to Cancun. There was a 2 hour gap between flights so i was supposed to land at 16:20 and take off again at 18:30.

On day of flight we were delayed landing in atlanta as there was thunderstorms and we had to divert to columbia north carolina as we needed to refuel. This is a smaller airport and there were other planes from atlanta there so it took 3 hours to get refuelled. We landed in atlanta at 20:30 as we also got stuck at atlanta waiting on gate to open to get off plane.

I was therefore delayed by 4 hours and missed connecting flight to Cancun as even though it had a delayed departure from atlanta due to storm i just missed it.
    Delta booked a new flight for me to fly out at 9:50 the next morning ( nearly 18 hours later than planned) free of charge but would not arrange hotel for me that night.

I have chill Travel insurance and got in touch with them to see what i was due in reimbursement and they told me i was only going to get price of hotel i stayed in that night. Does that sound Correct as i pretty much lost 1 day of my holiday in cancun due to travel disruptions ?

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,341 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What would you expect? Insurance is covering your costs

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pat201

It was just a question if only my travel expense would be covered or if i should also be covered for night i missed of holiday as my room in Cancun was paid for and of course was sitting idle until next day. This is first time i have got travel insurance and luckily i never got delayed before so i really did not know what i would be covered for

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pat if these was in the EU you would be entitled to compensation but as your connecting flight was from the US I believe as long as they put you on another flight asap that's all they have to do.
    All chill have to cover is your expenses incurred by the delay i.e accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pat201

Thanks Rob. Thats the clear information i needed.

Pat

Advertisement