Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling down the Grand Canal, up the Shannon, back the Royal Canal

Options
  • 06-08-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been thinking of this route for a while, and have read through the threads on cycling the Grand Canal and cycling the Royal Canal, both of which have been very useful.

I plan to cycle down the Grand Canal towpath from Dublin on my CX bike, then somehow up along the Shannon from Shannon Harbour (end of the Grand Canal) to Cloondara (end of the Royal Canal) and cycle back to Dublin along the Royal Canal greenway (or as much as possible).

I can't seem to find any way to cycle along the Shannon itself. There doesn't seem to be any paths or even fisherman's trails along the banks, so it looks like I'll have to stick to roads and go through Shannon Bridge and Clonmacnoise to Athlone and then on the East Side of Lough Ree to Ballymahon or Cloondara. It would be great if there was an off road or greenway route along this part.

Just looking to see if anyone has any knowledge in this area. Thanks

Comments

Advertisement