Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't access certain websites

Options
  • 06-08-2019 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I have a problem I can't figure out. There are certain websites that just won't load namely Amazon, Netflix and Spotify. I know it has something to do with me using a VPN. I was abroad for the last while so I paid for Nord VPN but now I'm home I don't need it so don't have it on or even open. I assumed since I was back home everything would work as normal.

The spotify app I have won't let me sign in and gives the following error : 'A firewall may be blocking Spotify. Please update your firewall to allow Spotify. Additionally you could try changing the currently used proxy settings'

I can get onto certain Amazon websites like .es .it .fr but not co.uk or .com

It is probably a simple setting I have to change somewhere. Any suggestions? I have a MacBook air running Mojave. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have no idea but others mention of your router blocking some places like it has websafe enabled and might need it switched off to log in .

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

IAdditionally you could try changing the currently used proxy settings'
    So just to rule this one out: what *are* your current proxy settings? (System Prefs > Network > Advanced > Proxies).

I don't know what NordVPN does or doesn't install, but have you tried completely uninstalling it and rebooting? (Their website suggests you shouldn't need to do anything other than drag it to the Trash.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

calum wrote: »
    So just to rule this one out: what *are* your current proxy settings? (System Prefs > Network > Advanced > Proxies).

I don't know what NordVPN does or doesn't install, but have you tried completely uninstalling it and rebooting? (Their website suggests you shouldn't need to do anything other than drag it to the Trash.)

Tried uninstalling and restart with no joy. I have gone into those settings for proxies and everything is blank?

Okay... blank is normal unless your ISP requires a specific proxy setting, so it sounds like NordVPN hasn't inadvertently messed that up, at least. Still a bit suspicious that it's done something weird, though.

Can other devices on your network access those websites normally?

Do you have another user account on your MacBook Air (e.g. an admin or guest account), and if so, can that account access those websites normally? (If you don't have another account, you could create a temporary one in System Prefs > Users & Groups to test with.)

If you add a new network location (in System Prefs > Network) and switch to that, is there any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

calum wrote: »
    Okay... blank is normal unless your ISP requires a specific proxy setting, so it sounds like NordVPN hasn't inadvertently messed that up, at least. Still a bit suspicious that it's done something weird, though.

Can other devices on your network access those websites normally?

Do you have another user account on your MacBook Air (e.g. an admin or guest account), and if so, can that account access those websites normally? (If you don't have another account, you could create a temporary one in System Prefs > Users & Groups to test with.)

If you add a new network location (in System Prefs > Network) and switch to that, is there any difference?

I switched user accounts to no joy. Yes other devices such as iPad and iPhone work on those websites.

I have just tried to add a new network location and that has done the trick. Thank you. Should I just leave it at that setting now?

• Advertisement

I have just tried to add a new network location and that has done the trick. Thank you. Should I just leave it at that setting now?
    Depends on how curious you are, I guess :) If it was me, I'd try switching back to the old one again, and seeing if that was still broken. And if it was, try to figure out what the difference between them was.

Alternatively, you can just delete the broken location (or not even do that), and just get on with your life!

Advertisement