Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast and whiskey in a kit stout

• 06-08-2019 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

Hello, making my second ever batch, first stout from a kit (simply stout). I followed the instruction and just sealed off the primary fermentation vessel for the first time, and added an air lock with a bit of whiskey (to keep it clean). I picked it up and a bit of the whiskey went into the container just after I sprinkled the yeast in, will this kill any of my yeast?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nah, I'm sure the yeast is made of stronger stuff. Just keep an eye on the gravity every few days. Once it's moving, you're fine.

You don't really need an airlock or to seal the beer in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

It'll be fine now go add more whiskey and sort yourself a whiskey stout

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭adam240610

Cheers guys, yeah it was bubbling away every few seconds the day after. I decided to make it a chocolate stout by adding cacao nibs sterilized with 50ml of whiskey, added three days after pitching the yeast. Since adding the nibs a few minutes ago, it is bubbling nigh constantly, maybe a quarter second or so before bubbling. I wouldn't have thought adding the nibs would have a major affect on the yeast's activity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

adam240610 wrote: »
    Cheers guys, yeah it was bubbling away every few seconds the day after. I decided to make it a chocolate stout by adding cacao nibs sterilized with 50ml of whiskey, added three days after pitching the yeast. Since adding the nibs a few minutes ago, it is bubbling nigh constantly, maybe a quarter second or so before bubbling. I wouldn't have thought adding the nibs would have a major affect on the yeast's activity

They’re not affecting the yeast, just disturbing the beer so that the gas is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭adam240610

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    They’re not affecting the yeast, just disturbing the beer so that the gas is released.

Lasted a good hour or so, going to add coffee to it before bottling in ten days or so depending on the hydrometer readings. Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement