Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan Vs Caravan

Options
  • 06-08-2019 2:41pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies, this probably has been asked 100s of times, I've searched and found nothing...

I'm in the process of buying....something. About to be homeless for a while , while my home is being built. Staying with friends so would like to be able to head off on weekends, have my own (small) place etc.

I was all set to buy a caravan, but people are telling me I'd be better off with a campervan. Anyone have any list of pros and cons?

The way I see it, I'd be paying for another service annually, worrying about the campervan getting old and needing to replace parts. I know nothing about mechanics so would have to hire people.

I only have a B licence and can only tow up to 750kg before doing a test (rules for people who have done their test since 2006). I've been looking into a teardrop caravan. It's basically just big enough for a bed, and all my cooking stuff would be the same as you'd have if you were in a tent. I'd always book into caravan parks if I have the caravan.

I'm planning long term here. Also a photographer so it's handy to be able to head away in winter and take photos for a weekend. Would I be mad to get a caravan? Are many caravan parks open during the winter?
    From what I've been on instagram a lot of photographers have campervans and just park anywhere, so no paying for caravan sites, and can go off season.

Is the main benefit of a campervan the not having to pay for a caravan park? Are they really hard to maintain? I'm a woman who'll be travelling solo, so main thing is security, need a door than locks.

Sorry for the long post. If anyone had input that would be great! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A lot depends on where you have to park, the bigger the camper or caravan is, the more comfortable it'll be, but the harder it is to park...
    If you can only tow a 750 kg trailer, that restricts you to moving it..
    Are you thinking a stealth camper? (ie, just looks like a van?) toilets, waste water and power'll be issues.. Don't know any public carparks that'll be set up for those..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

dory wrote: »

I only have a B licence and can only tow up to 750kg before doing a test (rules for people who have done their test since 2006). .

That's incorrect, you can tow a combined gross weight (maximum permissible) of 3,500kg between car and trailer (and trailers of 750kg or less don't count towards this limit) once the car is rated to tow the particular trailer.

If you're planning to live in this for long periods of time, a carvan will be more comfortable than most campervans and mich cheaper for similar accomodation

What is your budget?

If it's just for weekends for one person something van sized is the best option - can use as only vehicle, easy to drive and park. Have a look at Mazda bongo!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for the feedback.
    Markcheese wrote: »
    f you can only tow a 750 kg trailer, that restricts you to moving it..

Are you thinking a stealth camper? (ie, just looks like a van?) toilets, waste water and power'll be issues.. Don't know any public carparks that'll be set up for those..

Don't understand the first line there. I understand the 3,500kg rule, but as I've a small enough car I'd only be pulling a very small caravan anyway.

And yes, it would be a stealth camper. Not sure what the budget is. I've been looking online at caravans for around the €2k mark. Friend of mine just bought a Ford Transit for under €5k that he's planning on doing up. I suppose €2-3k would be ideal. It really is only to get away every now and then while the house is being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t bother with a €3k camper. You’re really at the wrong end of the market.
    Work out how many times you’d be going away vs what you’re spending. I’d sooner spend that sort of money on a caravan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

What colm said any camper in that budget range is likely to be a shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Would vrt or duties etc be levied if one was to buy a caravan in the UK or France.and bring it back home?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sorry, I meant, if you're legally limited to towing 750kg, then you'd have to get that or smaller, (write the post in a hurry), there are a few light weight caravans about.. https://www.donedeal.ie/caravans-for-sale/12ft-4-bert/22393013

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Alkers wrote: »
    What is your budget?

If it's just for weekends for one person something van sized is the best option - can use as only vehicle, easy to drive and park. Have a look at Mazda bongo!

Thanks for the tip! I've been Googling and I could get a nice Bongo, not yet converted for €8k or so. I could stretch to that if I were to sell my own car. Then use the Bongo as my day to day and out-of-town car for the while I'll be without a home. My own car needs replacing anyway.

Yes, I agree a €3k campervan would be ridiculous. I guess I thought I'd get some kind of van you can sleep in. Realisticly I don't need the bells and whistles. I don't cook at home so won't be using a gas hob in a van. I'll be packing sandwiches and using a cooler box. I'll pretty much be camping, just with the security of being behind a locked door!

In terms of caravan I've my heart set on something like this: https://www.caravansforsale.co.uk/Teardrop/tab-320-rs-2-berth-2007-used-good-condition-touring-caravans/905060

Markcheese wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant, if you're legally limited to towing 750kg, then you'd have to get that or smaller, (write the post in a hurry), there are a few light weight caravans about.. https://www.donedeal.ie/caravans-for-sale/12ft-4-bert/22393013

Yeah something like that would be perfect. The person selling that is also selling a campervan. This is in the description:

im sellin camper because i want to so dont bother ringin asking foolish questions to why am i sellin it.. and no bids of dirt money look true donedeal before ringin camper is cheap .. + no sunday lookers

Ooookay then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d be looking for something like this https://www.omearacamping.com/second-hand-esterel-folding-caravan-for-sale-9026-p.asp
    Obviously, one that’s not sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

theres a gobur folding caravan on adverts 3200 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I know someone who knows the people selling this one - said to be running smoothly, though a bit old and clunky. (But I believe them as trustworthy)

https://tinyurl.com/y4khu8xa

You could also have a read through one of the AMA's a month or two ago, twenty pages of questions answered by a guy living in a van, stealth, working an office job. It can be done!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057978875

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thanks for the tip! I've been Googling and I could get a nice Bongo, not yet converted for €8k or so. I could stretch to that if I were to sell my own car. Then use the Bongo as my day to day and out-of-town car for the while I'll be without a home. My own car needs replacing anyway.

Yes, I agree a €3k campervan would be ridiculous. I guess I thought I'd get some kind of van you can sleep in. Realisticly I don't need the bells and whistles. I don't cook at home so won't be using a gas hob in a van. I'll be packing sandwiches and using a cooler box. I'll pretty much be camping, just with the security of being behind a locked door!

In terms of caravan I've my heart set on something like this: https://www.caravansforsale.co.uk/Teardrop/tab-320-rs-2-berth-2007-used-good-condition-touring-caravans/905060
    You won’t be able to use a camper as a primary vehicle. It states it in the insurance that you must have a primary vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

You can use a camper as a primary vehicle contact Dolmen Insurance to check but a few people have done it on the T2 site. Just means you pay normal insurance and tax I think. You could always enquire on T2 facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garymt

Changed back to caravan last year after 3 large MHs , and never regretted it - Ireland is very anti motorhomes. Most towns actively discourage them by not providing parking or facilities.
    Secondly, even at 7.5m, camper very small internally, and awning options are basic and limited.
    Unless you wish to move every day, I'd suggest a caravan. You have your car available every day for sightseeing - more convenient.
    And, obviously there is a huge price difference!
    Principal downside, is the physicallly, a caravan is more demanding.... look for one with motor mover!
    Several dealers up North, - you'll need to go north or to Wales to see any decent selection.
    Good luck, with whatever you choose!

8k is (way) too much for an unconverted bongo!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Would vrt or duties etc be levied if one was to buy a caravan in the UK or France.and bring it back home?
    Thanks.

No

Edit ; but hurry as god only knows what Brexit will bring

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

garymt wrote: »
    Ireland is very anti motorhomes. Most towns actively discourage them by not providing parking or facilities.

And they love to see you pull up with a caravan :D

I do about 6 days a year in a campsite and have no difficulty whatsoever finding places to park outside of that. No point in complaining about where you're not wanted when there are thousands of other places to go.

8k is (way) too much for an unconverted bongo!

Yes , I've done more research and you're right. Saw on for €4,000 unconverted.

Thanks to the poster who gave me an alternative viewpoint and is happier in the caravan, food for thought.

I think after much thinking I'd have a lot more choices and freedom in a camper. If I get to a stage where I want to spend a longer time in one spot I can trade for a caravan.

Having watched lots of YouTube videos I'm now mad for a Bongo! It's a nice size.

• Advertisement

Yes , I've done more research and you're right. Saw on for €4,000 unconverted.

Thanks to the poster who gave me an alternative viewpoint and is happier in the caravan, food for thought.

I think after much thinking I'd have a lot more choices and freedom in a camper. If I get to a stage where I want to spend a longer time in one spot I can trade for a caravan.

Having watched lots of YouTube videos I'm now mad for a Bongo! It's a nice size.

I have a thread about mine over on the projects and builds forum so if you have any questions just ask!

If you're looking at one try and get someone familiar with them to accompany you - pay particular attention to rust on arches, sills, crossmembers etc (bring a strong magnet) and that condition of the cooling system

I have a thread about mine over on the projects and builds forum so if you have any questions just ask!

If you're looking at one try and get someone familiar with them to accompany you - pay particular attention to rust on arches, sills, crossmembers etc (bring a strong magnet) and that condition of the cooling system

I read a lot of that thread! Thanks, very interesting. I really want a Bongo now! Saw your own featured on the @mazdabongo insta page.

I'm not sure though is that more of a long term goal, and should I get something cheaper just to get me through the next while of not having a proper home!

Very grateful for all the input.

Advertisement