Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balcony repair Balbriggan

Options
  • 06-08-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

The wooden slates of our balcony need to be replaced (starting to fall apart from weathering) and we are having huge issues with the management company of the estate. Without going into the never ending story we have with them, I want to know whether they're taking the p* with how much they're charging for the balcony repair and get it done this year rather than possibly in the next 3.. so I called a few places I found online, that do home repairs, carpentry, etc. - and all that I called said they don't do balconies... does anyone have a recommendation for a business that does balconies in Balbriggan?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

My guess we are talking about either vertical or horizontal wooden slats?

OP: what is the substructure/railing/ etc: steel or more timber

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Kayce

My guess we are talking about either vertical or horizontal wooden slats?

OP: what is the substructure/railing/ etc: steel or more timber

Bot sure what the exact name is tbh.. wooden planks perhaps? They are horizontal and are the floor of the balcony.. the structure, railing as far as I can tell is made from steel..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think it sounds like what my balcony is made out of. They're essentially decking planks. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near balbriggan and have no idea who to recommend to fix them.

Kayce wrote: »
    Bot sure what the exact name is tbh.. wooden planks perhaps? They are horizontal and are the floor of the balcony.. the structure, railing as far as I can tell is made from steel..
    well if its the floor and they are decking boards, take a few picture and send them/ show them to a few carpenters: without that input they may think Berkley and run a mile

• Administrators Posts: 53,535 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am guessing what the OP is talking about is purely decorative. I would seriously doubt the actual floor structure of their balcony is made out of timber.

It is probably just plain old decking attached to some battens that's set on top of the concrete base of the balcony. It's probably not even attached to the balcony structure at all, it's just held in place because it's the right shape to fit and it's heavy enough that it doesn't move.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I am guessing what the OP is talking about is purely decorative. I would seriously doubt the actual floor structure of their balcony is made out of timber.

It is probably just plain old decking attached to some battens that's set on top of the concrete base of the balcony. It's probably not even attached to the balcony structure at all, it's just held in place because it's the right shape to fit and it's heavy enough that it doesn't move.
    Perhaps but a lot of the balconies now days are a free standing steel frame just bolted on to the building to avoid thermal bridging

Thanks everyone!

I took pictures of it and asked a friend what the different parts are called:
    So there is wooden decking (as seen in the pictures) which is falling apart. Underneath these are supports (not sure whether they are made from wood or steal. And the whole thing has a steal frame. There is no concrete as far as I can see..

https://imgur.com/a/NTkEn2s

Hope it makes more sense now?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

Thanks everyone!

I took pictures of it and asked a friend what the different parts are called:
    So there is wooden decking (as seen in the pictures) which is falling apart. Underneath these are supports (not sure whether they are made from wood or steal. And the whole thing has a steal frame. There is no concrete as far as I can see..

https://imgur.com/a/NTkEn2s

Hope it makes more sense now?

Hi Kayce,

Just wondering if you ever got your balcony repaired and who you used. I’m in the same boat at the moment. PM if you wish.

Thanks!

JD24 wrote: »
    Hi Kayce,

Just wondering if you ever got your balcony repaired and who you used. I’m in the same boat at the moment. PM if you wish.

Thanks!

Hi,

I actually went with the lands keeper that is looking after the estate as I wasn't able to find anyone... Best of luck with your balcony!

Kayce

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

Hi,

I actually went with the lands keeper that is looking after the estate as I wasn't able to find anyone... Best of luck with your balcony!

Kayce

Thanks for coming back to me Kayce. Sounds like we live in the same estate. It was the same for me until the lands keeper left in December. Now it’s a contractor at a much higher fee. Do you mind if I PM you with some questions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement