Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using HDD with LG OLED TV

Options
  • 05-08-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Sorry if posting this in wrong place (first time poster). I have just bought an LG Oled TV and want to download UHD, 4K content to consume on it. I just bought a HDD (ADATA HM900 TV Support 4TB) I've formatted on my Mac but when I format with EXFAT to allow me to transfer large files to the drive the TV wont recognise but when I format to FAT 32 I can transfer and see the file on the TV but am limited to files under 4gb which restricts my ability to download 4k file size. I hope this makes sense but totally frustrated. Is there not a straightforward way to download large high quality file and view on an expensive TV via a not cheap HDD??! Hoping people on here far smarter than me have the answer. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Does the TV recognise the drive if formatted NTFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Foxedbadger

mordeith wrote: »
    Does the TV recognise the drive if formatted NTFS?
    huge thanks for response but I don’t seem to have that option? Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

huge thanks for response but I don’t seem to have that option? Any thoughts?
    Refer to your TV (model?) manual.
    Most latest TV's would support multiple file formats for external storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi op

my smart lg tv reads ntfs.

hi op

my smart lg tv reads ntfs.
    any chance you could send me an email to frank dot mcintosh at outlook dot com so I could discuss with you offline how to do this please? Many thanks

• Advertisement

any chance you could send me an email to REMOVED at outlook dot com so I could discuss with you offline how to do this please? Many thanks

Specify your TV model instead posting you personal details
    There is private message function on boards.

Edit your last post

Specify your TV model instead posting you personal details
    There is private message function on boards.

Edit your last post
    thanks, I didn’t realise until after I posted. Apologies.

If you have access to a Windows based machine it's just a case of right clicking the drive and selecting NTFS as the type

mordeith wrote: »
    If you have access to a Windows based machine it's just a case of right clicking the drive and selecting NTFS as the type
    thanks and if I do that with a windows machine will I then be able to use my MacBook to transfer files to it or will I need a windows machine to do that? Many thanks for your help.

thanks, I didn’t realise until after I posted. Apologies.
    You funny.
    You dont have to apologize - just go back to your post( #6 ) click Edit and remove personal stuff.

Despite you keep secret you TV model, looks like bad news for you:
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&ei=PeVJXfa3DbHuxgO1_Jtg&q=lg+tv+support+for+mac+file+system&oq=lg+tv+support+for+mac+file+system&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30.17029.21277..21650...0.0..0.138.1388.1j11......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j33i10.e42hK4nI6qA&ved=&uact=5

• Advertisement

thanks and if I do that with a windows machine will I then be able to use my MacBook to transfer files to it or will I need a windows machine to do that? Many thanks for your help.

Apparently there is a workaround but AFAIK mac os can read NTFS drives but not write to them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Might be easier to use a LiveUSB of a Linux distro to transfer large files from MAC to NTFS HDD partition.

If you need space on the drive for MAC only files then create a separate partition for that purpose.

Advertisement