Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'08 Avensis cruise control retrofit

• 05-08-2019 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭

Thinking of fitting cruise control to my '08 Avensis 2l d4d estate. It looks straight forward enough, except that my steering wheel doesn't have the little window to allow the stalk through. Now, cutting an opening with a Dremel is not a big deal, but ToyoDIY suggest that there is a steering wheel available with cruise control.

I just want to make sure that there isn't a steering wheel control for cruise on this car, rather than the stalk, especially as any and all searches throw up only the stalk as an option.

Can anybody on here confirm one way or the other

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stalk is the only option on this model. IIRC the cutout is already marked for the stalk.
    If you fancy a leather covered steering wheel then just swap one from an Irish Luna model or a UK spec T Spirit or similar. That will have the stalk attached. Existing airbag will fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭cletus

Appreciate it Colm. As I said, the thing that was throwing me off was no plastic clipped window to pop out to let the stalk through.

Pretty sure Fancy Pigeon did this on his one. There’s a thread in the projects subforum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I did it on my 05 d4d. A bit fiddly but doable if you're handy enough. There's a useful guide on YouTube.

The easiest option is a tspirit wheel if you can get one all the same.

Just note they changed the wheel in mid 06.

• Advertisement

So, to come back to this thread, pulled the airbag from my steering wheel, had a look behind.

Doesn't appear to be a socket to plug the cc stalk into, and doesn't seem to be a mounting point for the stalk either

Still sort of holding out hope for this, so here's a couple of pictures of the steering wheel, if anyone has any ideas

490596.jpg

490597.jpg

490598.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Came across this searching for info....was it sucessful

Glen Immal wrote: »
    Came across this searching for info....was it sucessful

So, with the steering wheel I have, it's a little more complex than plug and play. I came across the link below, which has details for how to pin out the connectors.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/79371-retro-fit-cruise-control-avensis-t3-s/page/5/

The stalk is currently sitting in my glove compartment, and I look at it periodically and think "I must set aside half a day and do that job"

I've had a stalk from ebay in my glove box for the last two years. Would happily pay someone to do this. Any one have any recomendations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Pay cletus, he can do his at the same time.

hurikane wrote: »
    Pay cletus, he can do his at the same time.

I Would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

cletus wrote: »
    So, with the steering wheel I have, it's a little more complex than plug and play. I came across the link below, which has details for how to pin out the connectors.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/79371-retro-fit-cruise-control-avensis-t3-s/page/5/

The stalk is currently sitting in my glove compartment, and I look at it periodically and think "I must set aside half a day and do that job"

Cletus quick question I have just got an 07 avensis same wheel as yours, I see the two t30 screws holding the airbag in I loosen them but still can't remove the air bag am I missing something any video I see says to just pull but my airbag ain't coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Look at the picture in this post. You can see where the plate is drilled to bolt the stalk on.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104293758&postcount=7813

Cheers for that, speed line. The mounting point is probably the easiest part of the process, although the wiring looks fiddly, rather than downright difficult.

@glen imaal: being only an amateur spanner turner (as well as amateur pretty much everything else in my life), I wouldn't be too happy working on someone else's car, especially someone I don't know.

I will, however, take as many photos as I can when finally do it, and if I can offer any advice or help, I will

crasy dash wrote: »
    Cletus quick question I have just got an 07 avensis same wheel as yours, I see the two t30 screws holding the airbag in I loosen them but still can't remove the air bag am I missing something any video I see says to just pull but my airbag ain't coming out

Can't rightly remember, to be honest. When I go at it next, I'll update this thread

Cheers for that, speed line. The mounting point is probably the easiest part of the process, although the wiring looks fiddly, rather than downright difficult.

@glen imaal: being only an amateur spanner turner (as well as amateur pretty much everything else in my life), I wouldn't be too happy working on someone else's car, especially someone I don't know.

I will, however, take as many photos as I can when finally do it, and if I can offer any advice or help, I will

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

You need to remove the pins from the block connector on the stalk, (I simply cut the block open with a Stanley knife) and insert them into the block connector already on the steering wheel. You should have a red and black wire? There should be a red wire in the connector, so you insert them next to it. Red black red if I remember right.

Speedline wrote: »
    You need to remove the pins from the block connector on the stalk, (I simply cut the block open with a Stanley knife) and insert them into the block connector already on the steering wheel. You should have a red and black wire? There should be a red wire in the connector, so you insert them next to it. Red black red if I remember right.

Did you need to run a wire back to the ECU? There's a suggestion it might be needed in the link I posted. If not, happy days

Did you need to run a wire back to the ECU? There's a suggestion it might be needed in the link I posted. If not, happy days

Not on my car. My one is the pre face-lift though. Let me see can I get any info on wiring the newer one.

• Advertisement

Speedline wrote: »
    Not on my car. My one is the pre face-lift though. Let me see can I get any info on wiring the newer one.

My estate is also pre-facelift

My estate is also pre-facelift

It should be handy so. It's either red black red or black red black. You will know what I mean when you look at the connector block.

If you look at the pic that I posted earlier you can see the block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Can't rightly remember, to be honest. When I go at it next, I'll update this thread

Thanks for that I'll keep an eye on this thread

How can I confirm that I have a clutch switch already insitu, or not

Glen Immal wrote: »
    How can I confirm that I have a clutch switch already insitu, or not

You'll have to get down in the foot well and take a look. Can't post pictures at the moment. The switch looks like a black cylinder with a smaller white cylinder coming out of it.

Here's a link to what it looks like. It's quite high up on the clutch pedal assembly

Toyota-Avensis-T25-Cruise-Control-Clutch-Pedal.jpg

Advertisement