Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking phone with dual sim and removable battery

Options
  • 04-08-2019 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a cheapish android phone with dual (preferably non-hybrid) sim, removable battery, and.. I think that's about the height of my requirements. But this is proving rather difficult to find.

I mainly just need it for whatsapp and tethering - I don't care overmuch about camera quality or gaming. I'm heading to the US/Canada for a month, hence the desire for the dual sim.

I thought the Nokia 2.2 would do the job, but their website gets stuck in a neverending loading loop when I start the Buy Phone process, which is making me have second thoughts...
    I was also considering the Motorola Moto G5 and the Samsung Galaxy J4, but I'm finding it impossible to find a website I can buy from which lets me check that the phone has the same specs as listed on the GMSarena.

I'd really just like to pop into a shop and buy a phone in-person, but it seems my requirements are rare :confused: I'm in Galway, so I don't have quite as wide a range of options as if I were in Dublin, but even if I were in Dublin, the internet isn't providing me with any suggestions as to where I ought to go..

If anyone could provide any advice, it would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a cheapish android phone with dual (preferably non-hybrid) sim, removable battery, and.. I think that's about the height of my requirements. But this is proving rather difficult to find.

I mainly just need it for whatsapp and tethering - I don't care overmuch about camera quality or gaming. I'm heading to the US/Canada for a month, hence the desire for the dual sim.

I thought the Nokia 2.2 would do the job, but their website gets stuck in a neverending loading loop when I start the Buy Phone process, which is making me have second thoughts...
    I was also considering the Motorola Moto G5 and the Samsung Galaxy J4, but I'm finding it impossible to find a website I can buy from which lets me check that the phone has the same specs as listed on the GMSarena.

I'd really just like to pop into a shop and buy a phone in-person, but it seems my requirements are rare :confused: I'm in Galway, so I don't have quite as wide a range of options as if I were in Dublin, but even if I were in Dublin, the internet isn't providing me with any suggestions as to where I ought to go..

If anyone could provide any advice, it would be much appreciated...

Why the need for removable battery? Would quick charge not suffice?

If you could do without the removable battery I'd recommend the Xiaomi mi A2 life or even the mi A3 if it's available yet. Otherwise any of the new Samsung a range bought SIM free are going to be dual SIM.

Edit: just spotted you dont want a hybrid SIM so that's the mi A2 lite out of the running. The Samsung galaxy a range come with true dual SIM and sd slot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Why the need for removable battery? Would quick charge not suffice?
    When a phone hangs, I like to be able to force it off. I know it's not ideal, but I've not yet had a phone where I wasn't compelled to do this at some point. Most recently, when my alarm went off at stupid o'clock in a hostel and the phone screen would not turn on and the phone would not power down - I like to have the pulling the plug option..

I can live with the hybrid dual - I won't really need to store a load of stuff while travelling.

When a phone hangs, I like to be able to force it off. I know it's not ideal, but I've not yet had a phone where I wasn't compelled to do this at some point. Most recently, when my alarm went off at stupid o'clock in a hostel and the phone screen would not turn on and the phone would not power down - I like to have the pulling the plug option..
    No recent phone should have such issues. Also any android device can usually be turned off by holding down the power button for long enough.

tiny tiny amount of phones being made with removable batteries these days.

none by any decent manufacturer that I can think of.

• Advertisement

No recent phone should have such issues. Also any android device can usually be turned off by holding down the power button for long enough.
    Therein lies the rub.
    And I did try holding down the power button, unless by "long enough" you mean until the battery emptied itself.

I have read up on it, but I don't really see the benefit of being unable to remove the battery from a phone. I don't need my phone to be waterproof or dustproof or exceptionally sleek..
    As far as I can tell, the move to non-removable is solely in the interests of the manufacturers.

If a non-removable battery is a complete non-runner, I will consider your Samsung suggestion though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Lgv20.

Also put your criteria into gsmarena.com search engine and you get to pick and choose what you want the phone to have.at least then you'll get an idea.
    I prefer a removable battery as well.if im out and about and the battery goes i just stick in the spare then charge the two overnight.no waiting around.

Ps put in removable battery into the search criteria and tonnes of phones come up. tiny amount available is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 30,028 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Unihertz jelly pro is dual sim with removable battery.

Unihertz atom might be the same

Very small phone though and would need to buy online(amazon). Battery life not the best compared to normal phone

Therein lies the rub.
    And I did try holding down the power button, unless by "long enough" you mean until the battery emptied itself.

I have read up on it, but I don't really see the benefit of being unable to remove the battery from a phone. I don't need my phone to be waterproof or dustproof or exceptionally sleek..
    As far as I can tell, the move to non-removable is solely in the interests of the manufacturers.

If a non-removable battery is a complete non-runner, I will consider your Samsung suggestion though, thanks.

What phone(s) have you had this issue with? I'd put money on it that they are ancient or filled up and running out of storage?

Lgv20.

Also put your criteria into gsmarena.com search engine and you get to pick and

Ps put in removable battery into the search criteria and tonnes of phones come up. tiny amount available is incorrect

there are 11 phones on Android Pie (current version)
    with a removable battery

https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sOSes=2&sOSversions=2900&idBatRemovable=1

that is a tiny amount.

on a cursory examination they also look pretty rubbish / low-end

• Advertisement

What phone(s) have you had this issue with? I'd put money on it that they are ancient or filled up and running out of storage?
    This one is a Huawei Y560 which, at the time of the aforementioned incident, was about 15 months old and certainly not full. Previous one was a Sony Xperia - can't remember any details on that one, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Fairphone 2 if you can get your hands on one ;)

https://shop.fairphone.com/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

glasso wrote: »
    there are 11 phones on Android Pie (current version)
    with a removable battery

https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sOSes=2&sOSversions=2900&idBatRemovable=1

that is a tiny amount.

on a cursory examination they also look pretty rubbish / low-end

You narrowed your search to the bare minimum.all i did was put in removeable battery.it came up with hundreds of phones granted the majority of them are rubbish but there are more than 11.much more.

There are lots of phones from years ago when removable batteries were common.

11 actual current phones.

Android pie is about to be succeeded by a new version so it's out a fair while. (Over a year)

Putting that as the operating system is not restrictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I've yet to find a phone that couldn't be forced off by holding power for 30 secs

I've yet to find a phone that couldn't be forced off by holding power for 30 secs

Not every Android is the same, but they always have a way.

I think Samsung might be power + volume down.

30 seconds is a ridiculous length of time.
    Abandoned my hopes of a removable battery in the end :( and went for a Samsung A10.

It's not supposed to be used regularly, only when the phone is not responding. How often do you expect to actually need it? Don't think I've ever needed it with my current 2yo OnePlus 5, or the OnePlus one before that

It's not a feature I was planning to use regularly - just for emergency situations such as having to turn off an alarm on a frozen phone, or to try minimise the damage if the phone gets wet.

How often do you expect to actually need your battery to be effectively glued inside your phone?

Abandoned my hopes of a removable battery in the end :( and went for a Samsung A10.
    In case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat - the Samsung A10 in Argos is not dual SIM, despite being advertised as such. Seemingly none of their phones are. Ditto CarphoneWarehouse.

Ordered a Moto G6 off Amazon, which arrived reasonably sharpish and does have dual sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭65535

Hi All,
    I too am interested in a Dual Sim but cannot find out the standby/fully active modes ?
    Also it seems that if you get a dual sim then you lose out on other features ?

Currently using a single SIM Note 4 and an old iPhone 4 !

65535 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I too am interested in a Dual Sim but cannot find out the standby/fully active modes ?
    Also it seems that if you get a dual sim then you lose out on other features ?

Currently using a single SIM Note 4 and an old iPhone 4 !

No, you don't lose any features. I have 2x SIM in my OnePlus. Some phones have a hybrid slot that takes 2x SIM or 1x SIM and 1x SD card

Advertisement