Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog has started to pee inside at night time

• 04-08-2019 8:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice. We have a 4 and a half year old JRT cross. We toilet trained her when we got her as a pup and she has always been extremely good since.
    To give you a bit of background, we moved house approx 6 months ago and changing the carpet in the sitting room and tiles in the kitchen approx a month ago. Our dog usually has the run of the downstairs at night time and sleeps on one of the couches in the sitting room or in her bed in the kitchen.

About 2 weeks ago we noticed had and pee’d in the sitting room on 2 separate occasions, we decided that it may be the new carpet and to confine her to the kitchen at night time. On Monday night she did a massive dark yellow pee on the tiles which stained the grout, I brought her to the vets thinking that she may has something wrong as this was very unusual for her. They have done blood tests and urine tests and found nothing wrong and said it might be behavioral. All good since, until I went down this morning to find the same thing had happened again.

Looking for some practical advise on anything I can do. She is brought for a walk just before bed (11pm -11:30) and is let out first thing when we get up in the morning (7am - 7:30).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Could something be frightening her at night? Maybe a fox or something in the back garden? Did she sleep in the sitting room/kitchen before you moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Good you went to vets as any sudden change always needs vet check to rule out medical.

By any chance was she trained using puppy pads initially when you toilet trained her first ? Sometimes the texture of this can feel very similar to carpet which can confuse dogs.

It is also very important not to give out to her when you find wee as she won’t know what she’s done wrong ( they have half a second association with an behaviour, there is no such thing as a guilty dog😊)

Have you crate trained her? It could be a good thing to help contain her and the wee issue if it persists. It is important that this her little den and that she has a positive association with it which can take a while to build. Victoria stillwell should have good info how to do it properly.

When she wees in an area it important to use enzymatic cleaning products too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Thanks for the replies guys. She was trained on puppy pads initially so that could be something with the carpet but she’s now going on the tiles. Only only been 4 times in total over about 2 weeks so I could be over reacting a little. We tried to crate train her initially but she absolutely hated the crate and was very upset when put in it, even for less than a minute so we dropped it very quickly.

I could possibly look at confining her to the utility room at night time but I like the idea of her having a bit more room to move around at night time.

I’m not sure if there’s anything that would be scaring her at night time as the back yard she looks out into is very secure and enclosed, could it be excitement due to cats on the wall or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Is it possible that it is just related to resettling in a new house? Maybe a little while of back to basics toilet training might help?

Is it possible that it is just related to resettling in a new house? Maybe a little while of back to basics toilet training might help?

Yep that’s what I’m thinking now, might start taking up her water at night time for a while and gradually re introduce it and see does that help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Going back to basics means getting up in the night to take the dog out to toilet. It certainly doesn't mean withholding water from your pet. Dogs need to have access to fresh water at all times, especially this time of year. Please dont withhold water from your dog during the night.

Going back to basics means getting up in the night to take the dog out to toilet. It certainly doesn't mean withholding water from your pet. Dogs need to have access to fresh water at all times, especially this time of year. Please dont withhold water from your dog during the night.

Thanks for that. I hadn’t started taking the water away yet so won’t do that so. I had gotten up to her a few times but she refused to go out so I didn’t force to issue as she was comfortable in bed. No issues since so hopefully it was just a blip, if not I’ll go make to making her go out during the night. Thanks everyone for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dogs are like that too - they look at me like I have two heads if I try to take them out to the loo! :p If it starts happening again could you maybe record her and play the video back in case something is happening that's making her get up and go - is she crying and you're not hearing her, is she stressed out etc etc I actually had to let Bailey out the other night - he ran to the back door as I was turning off the alarm, pee'd outside, and was back inside and in his bed before I had the door closed ... I was then wide awake for hours and the divil was fast asleep lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Thanks for that. I hadn’t started taking the water away yet so won’t do that so. I had gotten up to her a few times but she refused to go out so I didn’t force to issue as she was comfortable in bed. No issues since so hopefully it was just a blip, if not I’ll go make to making her go out during the night. Thanks everyone for the advice

Eh, she shouldn't get to choose :P

I always bring my dog out to the garden before bed whether he wants to or not. He'll saunter around a bit but then has a pee like clockwork...

Advertisement