If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

Re-registering a vehicle that was declared scrapped in 2005.

  • 04-08-2019 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

    Hello there

    I have recently come into posession of an old motorcycle which was given to me without any documentation as the person got the bike as a project some years ago but never got around to doing anything with it.

    I have filled out the statutory declaration to become the registered owner which i would normally fill out in order to get paperwork for an old vehicle in this manner and have an appointment with the commmissioner of oaths on tuesday for signing.

    heres where things get a little iffy. as I did not know too much history on this bike i decided to get a 10 euro aa cartell report just to ensure everything was kosher and that the chassis and reg number matched etc.

    There is an alert on this report saying "scrapped - vehicle destroyed" which has me worried if the thing can infact be registered at all.

    I spoke to a nice lady at cartell and she informed me that because of how it is marked on the system that there is no end of life cert issued and that the vehicle can go back on the road but she could not offer me much more info than this.

    have been asking some friends and also frantically searching the internet for answers to the issue however unfortunately i cannot seem to find anything to fully clarify the issue one way or another, some are saying I will be refused a tax book point blank whilst others are saying that it is possible to re register if i can provide an engineers report stating that the bike is still okay. (of course i cannot find much of a description of this report or what should be in it)

    there is a brief paragraph on the donegal county council site saying if it was registered before 05 then it can be registered back to the road with an "insurance assessors report" but again not much info except which piece of legislation the report should conform to.

    would be interested in hearing from others who have been through a similar process to this as I am weighing up the idea of buying a second frame with a v5 as clearing it would only cost 25 euro once i had re framed the bike but obviously would like to avoid this and keep the bike original as its a one owner machine and a very clean example that would be a shame to break to another shell.