Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lelit espresso machines

Options
  • 03-08-2019 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Our trusty Gaggia classic has recently died, most likely the pump from what I have read online. Its 8 years old now and apart from the pump, its gone a bit rough about the edges-corrosion on the cast metal part of the group head, crack in the drip tray etc. so I think it's time for a new one. We usually make 2-4 drinks a day, more on the weekends.

I was looking at the Lelit PL81T as a replacement; from what I have read in reviews it looks good on paper-Italian made, well built with good solid components, PID & brew pressure gauge.

The other alternative is the Rancillio Silvia, well established brand & machine, but looks to be less value feature wise-no PID or pressure gauge.

Does anyone here have a Lelit machine? H1ow do you find it, would you recommend one? Are there other brands I should be looking at?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In my recent search, Lelit and Quick Mill were my two top picks. I got a Quick Mill Quick Mill Pegasso, which has an inbuilt burr grinder, because a deal came up but I would have been as happy with a Lelit. I couldn't be happier with its performance. Everything is solid and I can see why they have a reputation for great longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at the Quick Mill machines; we have a decent Macap stepless grinder so its mainly a machine for espresso only with the odd milk drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

meaning to ask, have you decided/bought any of the two ?

PS: btw, cnocbui that Quick Mill looks beautifully ...

mvl wrote: »
    meaning to ask, have you decided/bought any of the two ?

PS: btw, cnocbui that Quick Mill looks beautifully ...

I went with the Lelit PL81T and the Eureka Mignion Perfetto grinder.

Delighted with both, especially the grinder. Consistent grind quality and much quieter than the Macap we had, and the chrome looks great.

The PID & temperature display and manometer make the Lelit a doddle to use, and the steam wand is way better than the Gaggia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Interesting combination.

Were you always wanting to have the grinder separate out of concern for what might happen with the beans when you've a combo ?

And one other question, do you know if the Lelit espresso machine needs a service, it could be addressed in IRL ?

- bought a Lelit few years ago as a gift - one of the models with grinder included (think PL042EM); got it ordered from France. Didn't hear major feedback about it tbh, works fine after 4 years.

I've the sage barista myself for 5 years now, but when I'd need to replace it, would probably wana look at something else ...

• Advertisement

I prefer having a separate grinder-easier to change/upgrade the machine or grinder individually if needed. At the time it was between the Rancilio Silvia & the Lelit, both around the same price IIRC.

I went with the Lelit in the end-It has a PID & manometer-the Silvia would have meant an aftermarket kit for the same functionality; the Lelit was well reviewed and it was on amazon with quick delivery-needed a replacement as my Gaggia died :)

Lelit have a service center in the UK, none here that I am aware of in Ireland.

Advertisement