Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal stories!

Options
  • 02-08-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Tell us your proposal stories! How did your other half pop the question? Was it a surprise? How did you react? Just for fun :P

Comments

I don't know where it happened. At a bar, could be any of about five we frequented... I know we had booked a big holiday in Iceland and were sitting at the bar sinking pints and he said "Do you want to get engaged in Iceland?" And I said "Eh ok yeah "

And that was it. We then decided not to tell anyone until we were in Iceland, but that was five months off, so that didn't really work. In the end the only people who didn't know was his parents!! So we forgot to introduce it to them gently and just updated our Facebook statuses cause "Sure everyone knows", and just about gave his poor mother a stroke!!

So I have no idea where or when it happened, just how!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My GF knew the proposal is coming as I couldn't make up my mind what type of ring to get.
    I picked up a ring with lovely stones but I wasn't fond of the setting.
    So I took GF ring shopping so she could get an idea of what she liked, then I took her and the stones I had to a jeweller and had her get exactly what she wanted!
    My thinking being that if she is going to wear it she may as well get exactly what she wants.

My son came up with the idea for the proposal and as it was the 2 of us and was just us 2 for a long time it was very important for me that he was on board with asking her to join our family!
    It was about creating a new one. So for me it needed to be one we did together.
    I had thought about the big gesture, but she expected that and the surprise was important.

My son and I call GF "Dory" after the finding Nemo character as she's a bit forgetful sometimes :)
    And my car is called squishy cos she loves it ;)

My son had an idea that worked wonderfully and was personal and sweet.
    There was a bit of a finding Nemo theme anyway while I was trying to figure out how to surprise her with the question...

We sat down together to watch finding Nemo...
    Theres a scene in the movie where Nemo swims through a wall of bubbles to join the fish tank gang, anyway he swims through and then Gill turns to rest of the fish tank gang and says Nemo is one of us....

Well we took that as a cue to pop out the ring and ask GF if she wanted to be one of us?

It took a minute for it to sink in with her ;) bit when it did it was joyous!

Cheesy I know, but 5yrs since the question and 3 hrs married and she still smiles and laughs when we talk about it.

Thing is while she did take the ring, and married me!
    She never actually said yes!
    Just called me a gowl thru the tears and hugged us both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

banie01 wrote: »
    We sat down together to watch finding Nemo...
    Theres a scene in the movie where Nemo swims through a wall of bubbles to join the fish tank gang, anyway he swims through and then Gill turns to rest of the fish tank gang and says Nemo is one of us....

Well we took that as a cue to pop out the ring and ask GF if she wanted to be one of us?

That is a beautiful story! Congratulations to you all!!

Advertisement