Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot spots

Options
  • 02-08-2019 7:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of hotspots?

I have a dog with one, probably caused by a tick bite. I trimmed round it, cleaned and applied hydrocortisone a couple of days ago but I had to go out today and came back to a large area of scabbing.

I've shaved most of the area and got antibiotics from the vet... have a cone on when I have to leave her alone.

Should I treat aggressively (ie shave off all hair over anything that is remotely scabbed) or wait and see?

It's not bad yet or I'd be calling my vet to come and treat. And I will if it gets worse. Just looking for advice. I'm meant to be going away monday so hoping for it to clear up fast if anyone has recommendations?

Obviously if it doesn't, I won't be going.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Also, all my moaning about my "non-shed" dog being the one to flare up my allergies? That apparently doesn't apply when shaving and getting scabs off. I am unbearably snotty right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Oh my :( I know it’s a strange one, we’ve had luck with making a paste of crushed piriton & soaked oats for our Yorkie x when he gets them.

Also leave the scabs! They protect the new skin & will fall off when ready.

em_cat wrote: »
    Oh my :( I know it’s a strange one, we’ve had luck with making a paste of crushed piriton & soaked oats for our Yorkie x when he gets them.

Also leave the scabs! They protect the new skin & will fall off when ready.

Thanks! I'll leave the scabs that are there and google that paste. I'm loathe to shave too much as she's double coated, but it really wasn't drying under her hair. :(

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll leave the scabs that are there and google that paste. I'm loathe to shave too much as she's double coated, but it really wasn't drying under her hair. :(

I know what ya mean, would she tolerate being blow dried?

My Nan use to put it on me when I was little and I still use it now, you need to let it dry and then can brush off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sudocrem also works pretty well at drying them...sudocrem and antibiotics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If its scabbing then it's healing so just leave it be. Once it stays dry and it's not scratched off it should fully heal soon.

Thanks all!

The actual hot spot isn't scabbing over - it was getting bigger. The scabbing is surrounding it where she's grazed her teeth with her skin.

Don't worry- I wasnt picking off scabs, just brushing the loose bits off the area so I could clean and stop the infection spreading. :)

It's looking a bit nicer this morning just with antibiotics and keeping her from going at it. Less angry round about anyway. I'm going to try sudocreme first before your paste em cat, just 'cos I'm lazy. I'll try the paste if it's getting worse again tonight though. Wish me luck!

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Thanks all!

The actual hot spot isn't scabbing over - it was getting bigger. The scabbing is surrounding it where she's grazed her teeth with her skin.

Don't worry- I wasnt picking off scabs, just brushing the loose bits off the area so I could clean and stop the infection spreading. :)

It's looking a bit nicer this morning just with antibiotics and keeping her from going at it. Less angry round about anyway. I'm going to try sudocreme first before your paste em cat, just 'cos I'm lazy. I'll try the paste if it's getting worse again tonight though. Wish me luck!

Haha, I get it, never thought about using sudocream tbh. I’m glad it’s looking better though as I’m sure the poor thing was miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Make sure you use the cone with the sudocream, it contains zinc oxide which can be toxic to dogs, so you def dont want him licking that off!

As of this morning, we've scabs over the whole area. Whoop!

It feels weird to be celebrating scabs.

Thanks all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

ive had joy in the past with baby powder just apply and blow off any excess

Advertisement