Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for boots for college

Options
  • 02-08-2019 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all

20 old girl here, I walk everywhere while at college and I’m a half an hour from my accommodation. I’d like a pair of black ankle boots that would be suitable for walking and able to withstand a reasonable amount of rainfall, given our climate. I’m considering a pair of Doc Martens, as they kind of go with my style (not punk or gothic, but I wear a lot of skirts, jumpers and pinafores).

That being said, they are quite costly. Are they worth splurging on, or are there cheaper versions ? I would consider a Chelsea style boot as well. I’m going to Dublin soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I used to love them when I was your age and found them really comfortable and durable. I recently tried them on again though and found them really uncomfortable and stiff. I think go to the shop and give them a try, see how you like them. I find Timberland boots more comfortable now and there are lots of different styles.. try different brands and styles and see what you like best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Doc martens have to be ‘broken in’ so they hurt first for a while til the leather is softened. You could try to find a second hand pair on adverts- cheapen and softer.
    Otherwise you could get some leather boots to suit your style in M & S or Clarke’s. Big clunky boots are everywhere now so shouldn’t be too hard to find, just pay as much as you can afford and try to get leather.
    Also Kildare village has a Clarke’s outlet which is chesper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I got a patent pair of black docs at christmas and they break my heart. If I wear hiking socks they're grand but if I wear normal socks they tear the ankles off me and I end up in pain for days afterwards.

The vegan leather docs are a lot softer so would be quicker and easier to break in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Some brands make boots/shoes with a waterproof membrane like Goretex. It's useful if you're walking a lot in the rain. Clarks and Dubarry do some.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Vetch wrote:
    Some brands make boots/shoes with a waterproof membrane like Goretex. It's useful if you're walking a lot in the rain. Clarks and Dubarry do some.

If Docs are at the upper end of the OP's budget then Dubarry are definitely going to be out of it.

I think a biker/engineer boot might be a better option than an ankle boot. Better in wet/cold weather for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What size do you wear op ?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Hi all

20 old girl here, I walk everywhere while at college and I’m a half an hour from my accommodation. I’d like a pair of black ankle boots that would be suitable for walking and able to withstand a reasonable amount of rainfall, given our climate. I’m considering a pair of Doc Martens, as they kind of go with my style (not punk or gothic, but I wear a lot of skirts, jumpers and pinafores).

That being said, they are quite costly. Are they worth splurging on, or are there cheaper versions ? I would consider a Chelsea style boot as well. I’m going to Dublin soon.

Unless you want the ankles and heels skinned off you, avoid Docs. They take ages to break in and even then aren't that comfy. Can you afford the leather UGG boots? I don't mean the bit fat suede yokes, but the actual nice solid looking boots made by UGG with the small block heel? Smart, dressy but good for casual wear too. Ideal for walking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Black leather ankle boots are my damn favourite ones to wear. In this regard, I would suggest the Gianvito Rossi’s ankle boots, especially if you have enough reasonable budget. However, if you want to go with looking for daily use boots at an affordable price, then Block Heel Chelsea Boots could be an excellent option for you. I also love the sleek design of Laura Biagiotti. You can also explore a wide range of ankle boots here https://bonboma.com/collections/womens-ankle-boots and hopefully, you will know about the comfy ones according to your budget and requirements.

Here https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/fashion/style/g12013199/black-ankle-boots/ you can also see some trendy boot options.

On the other hand, I would also like to suggest you try Henley Western Boots because I have used them for office for years and found them very good. By the way, why don't you try sneaker type ankle boots?

Advertisement