Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Deeds

Options
  • 02-08-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All
    We seem to have lost our house deeds and after lengthy searches can not find them.the wrong person left in charge of them over 20 years ago.
    i do have the folio number for them from the land direct.ie site.
    what i need help with is do i just pay for a certified copy to be posted out to me and that will cover all or do i need to do anything else ?
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Replacing lost title deeds is a drama. It's common to hand over title deeds as security for a loan, so the PRA needs proof that the title deeds really have been lost, and aren't being held by a creditor. You'll need to instruct a solicitor to help you assemble the proofs that the PRA will require.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

cheers for that ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

On a related matter, I inherited half my fathers land (it is a forest). It was transferred into my name with no issues around 3 years ago.

The guy in the property registration office said that deeds are not automatically issued anymore and they only send them out if I request a copy. He said there is no need for me to request a copy unless I need them for something (which I don't).

Is this true? Should I get a copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Check your household insurance policy.

Some policies provide limited funds towards the cost of regenerating lost deeds.
    Some policies may specify the place from which the deeds must have been lost or damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭jmreire

I have the same problem with missing deeds. Going back about 12 years to when the house was purchased and every "T" was crossed and every "I" was dotted, and all handled by a firm of solicitors. I'm pretty sure that the Deeds are in the house, just cannot be found. (long story....) so what happens now to get copies? Are all deeds (or copies) held in a central register in Ireland? Would the Solicitors automatically have held a copy? (Our wills were made at the same time)If it means instructing our Solicitors to procure a new set of deeds, how expensive is it likely to be? Or can the houseowner go about it him/herself?

• Advertisement
Advertisement