Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Phone currently for 250-400?

Options
  • 01-08-2019 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Main criteria, good camera, quick (not for games), supports NFC Google Pay and the basic stuff too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Main criteria, good camera, quick (not for games), supports NFC Google Pay and the basic stuff too.

I got a Samsung A50 only last month and love it. I believe it retails at €289. It does what you ask and a whole lot more. I find the camera on it to be brilliant and the battery life is far better than the Sony Xperia XA1 I last had. Just do a Google and see if the specs meet your needs.

Mi 9t

48mp main camera, 13mp wide angle, 8mp zoom
    20mp selfie camera
    no notch due to pop-up front camera
    snapdragon 730 pretty much as quick as last year's flagship 845
    amoled screen
    in-screen fingerprint reader
    nfc
    big 4000mah battery for long battery life

309 for 128b version (64gb version cheaper)

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-9t-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-redmi-k20-glacier-blue.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

fmpisces wrote: »
    I got a Samsung A50 only last month and love it. I believe it retails at €289. It does what you ask and a whole lot more. I find the camera on it to be brilliant and the battery life is far better than the Sony Xperia XA1 I last had. Just do a Google and see if the specs meet your needs.

I think I'm getting one of those for the wife next week. After some unusually brief research it's what I landed on. It's "free" on a £20 a month contract over here. She's got a Mi A2 Lite currently and there are just too many annoyances, plus the camera is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

fmpisces wrote: »

Why did you buy it?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Why did you buy it?

I was due an upgrade and checked it out in the shop beforehand, liked the look of it but mostly because of the camera and large storage space. The last couple of phones I've had were Sony's and I fancied a change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

glasso wrote: »
    Mi 9t

48mp main camera, 13mp wide angle, 8mp zoom
    20mp selfie camera
    no notch due to pop-up front camera
    snapdragon 730 pretty much as quick as last year's flagship 845
    amoled screen
    in-screen fingerprint reader
    nfc
    big 4000mah battery for long battery life

309 for 128b version (64gb version cheaper)

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-9t-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-redmi-k20-glacier-blue.html

I wouldn't spend that amount of money on eglobal. If anything goes wrong with it, you're shít out of luck. It's €369 on Amazon.es. I would definitely spend the extra to have some support in case anything goes wrong.

I wouldn't spend that amount of money on eglobal. If anything goes wrong with it, you're shít out of luck. It's €369 on Amazon.es. I would definitely spend the extra to have some support in case anything goes wrong.

so 369 + 10 postage = ~380

vs 308 => 70 euro difference -> 20 to 25% more

modern manufacturing is very consistent with good quality checks so unless there is a global fault on phone (do research in advance) there is a very low risk that anything will be wrong.

personally for 70 difference I'd take the (small) risk.

if the difference was only 10% I might go with Amazon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Never any issues on eglobal. I would personally recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Bought the Mi A3 64GB for the missus last week, excellent phone and a worth upgrade on the Mi A2. Better triple cameras, style, huge battery, in display fingerprint.

https://www.honorbuy.com/291-xiaomi-mi-a3 - Order to arrival is 2 days with DHL from Italy (no customs). €227 for 64GB, €242 for 128GB.

no nfc on mi a3 - pretty crap tbh. low rez screen also - 720p. processor is not great either.

poor upgrade imo. looks like Xiaomi have effectively given up on Android one.

mi 9t is far superior in cpu, screen and camera and miui is pretty good these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Coming in at the edge of your budget, I'd suggest the Pixel 3a for €399.

When you look for a good camera, this phone produces stunning images. Best i've seen. Good camera hardware (not amazing but solid), but what it does in software is outstanding. Night mode turns darkness into day. Seriously good package.

And as a phone and all the other stuff it does a stock android job on them which again is solid. Nothing more, nothing less.

No experience of google pay.

Battery, with heavy use you should get a solid day from it, a day and a half of normal use though it tends to "lose" its first 10% rather quickly in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

a decent older ex-flagship that holds it own still
    like the galaxy s8+

Advertisement