Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RnR bed not crash tested?

Options
  • 01-08-2019 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

How much of a problem is this going to be for a converted camper? It's a really solid, brand new Rusty Lee bed, just not crash tested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Is it registered as a campervan already? How many seats are listed on the logbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Hi Alkers,

No, it's a very new conversion and on the UK logbook is just listed as a Light Goods Vehicle (I only brought it in on Monday). There's actually nothing under no. of seats but I'd imagine just the front two. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would get it registered as a campervan and list the number of seats as you see fit. If they question it, just list the number of factory fitted seats and it is possible to get the logbook ammended subsequently

I don't know if I can. It needs an engineer's report before I can do the VRT and the engineer is the one asking if it's crash tested. I thought maybe someone here had non-tested seats in a conversion that might advise. I'll just have to see what the engineer says tomorrow about it. Thanks so much for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

An engineer would surely have to check it over to make sure the seats are fit for purpose, if the aren't crash test rated it just means whatever seats are in the cab so it will either be 2 (2 singles) or 3 ( single & double)

• Advertisement

glic83 wrote: »
    An engineer would surely have to check it over to make sure the seats are fit for purpose, if the aren't crash test rated it just means whatever seats are in the cab so it will either be 2 (2 singles) or 3 ( single & double)

So you're saying the rear seats will be considered unfit for purpose by virtue of the fact that they're not tested, regardless of how good they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can't imagine any engineer signing off on a seat that is not crash tested no matter how good it may be.
    The forces involved in an accident are huge and that is why crash tested seats exist, if it wasn't necessary any fella with a stick welder and some square tube could be churning them out.
    When I was thinking about self build I was looking at RIB M1 seats, they are the most popular type of tested seats.
    Prices are high though, thats why lots of people fit cheap R&R setups.

So you're saying the rear seats will be considered unfit for purpose by virtue of the fact that they're not tested, regardless of how good they are?

That will be up to the engineer to decide, it would all depend on the safety of the seat, is the frame strong enough to take the force of a seat belted person, are the belts in the correct position, is the seat frame bolted down securely, crash tested design is there for a reason. I don't know if the engineer will pass it, but if it's going to be used to carry passenger wouldn't it be best if it was crash test rated

glic83 wrote: »
    That will be up to the engineer to decide, it would all depend on the safety of the seat, is the frame strong enough to take the force of a seat belted person, are the belts in the correct position, is the seat frame bolted down securely, crash tested design is there for a reason. I don't know if the engineer will pass it, but if it's going to be used to carry passenger wouldn't it be best if it was crash test rated

True, but it's in now and there's nothing I can do about it unfortunately. I'll just have to hope that the engineer feels it's good enough and has the power to OK it. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Go to a NSAI center that test buses - the minimum anchorage requirements for buses include plywood and would be laughable compared to your seat.

• Advertisement

Go to a NSAI center that test buses - the minimum anchorage requirements for buses include plywood and would be laughable compared to your seat.

Good idea!

True, but it's in now and there's nothing I can do about it unfortunately. I'll just have to hope that the engineer feels it's good enough and has the power to OK it. Thanks for your help.

Let us know how it goes

So I think I may have it sorted (although will feel a lot better once I have the cert). I spoke to the engineer again this morning and he said that every seat/belt is not going to be crash tested, they don't expect it them to be individually done in-vehicle. The prototype for the model in your van has to be. I spoke to the manufacturer, who said it had been tested in a T5 and T6 but not a T4, which I have (didn't ask why) and that he had the cert to prove it. I sent that cert to the engineer, and he says this is enough.

I've been having such a bad run of luck with the van that I really won't rest until it's assessed and VRT paid but hopefully all will be well. Valuable lessons learned too!

Thanks all.

So I think I may have it sorted (although will feel a lot better once I have the cert). I spoke to the engineer again this morning and he said that every seat/belt is not going to be crash tested, they don't expect it them to be individually done in-vehicle. The prototype for the model in your van has to be. I spoke to the manufacturer, who said it had been tested in a T5 and T6 but not a T4, which I have (didn't ask why) and that he had the cert to prove it. I sent that cert to the engineer, and he says this is enough.

I've been having such a bad run of luck with the van that I really won't rest until it's assessed and VRT paid but hopefully all will be well. Valuable lessons learned too!

Thanks all.

So the seats are crash test rated? But not for the earlier model t3?

Mine's a T4 but yes, that seems to be the case. So this particular bed has not been in-vehicle tested in a T4, but has in a T5 and T6, so I'm guessing that means that the SQI is happy that it's structurally sound and secure.

Advertisement