Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married tax credits

Options
  • 01-08-2019 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Recently got married and am just wondering if we are better off being assessed separately or jointly for tax purposes?

My wife earns 26,500 and I earn 43,000 gross.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

There's probably a calculator on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Take a look at this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110820953

As singles you'd pay 40% once earnings > €35,300. So currently you are in that position. On the other hand your spouse is under her cut-off point. So under joint assessment you could transfer €7,700 cut-off to you increasing your cut-off from €35,300 to €43,000 which saves €1,540pa. ( the difference at 20% )

If you say recently married meaning 2019 it will be 2020 before you can be jointly assessed. However you may have an adjustment in your favour for the part of 2019 post-marriage. If you were married before 01/01/19 you could elect for joint assessment for 2019 on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Munchiegoon

Thanks Stratvs, exactly what I was looking for

Advertisement