Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Photos - Syncing Specific folders from Android

Options
  • 01-08-2019 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi All

Hoping some of you can help me out - I have an question around Google photos I can't find a good answer for.

I use Google Photos for backing up photos from my phone - however not the entire camera roll as google wants - I simply want to back up the photos from one particular folder on my phone (kids photos) and not the others.

Previously I was using quickpic gallery which was brilliant and allowed me to do that from within the app. That app is no more now

I have tried various apps but cannot find anything that worked as well as the quickpic gallery. I'm willing to use any gallery app that has the same feature or a standalone sync app if anyone has sugestions.

I have tried a few but none have worked particularly well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Google Photos is designed to backup each and every camera captured photo or video on a phone, that can't be stopped (but thats ok, its excellent). In Settings > Backup and Sync > Device Folders, you can enable / disable any other folder directories (that contains valid media) with a simple on / off switch like so:

61VeVdE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

You probably already know this too, but you can set up Google Photos to put "faces" into specific folders within Google Photos too.

I have one for my kids, and any photo uploaded into Google Photos featuring the kids will go into their own folder

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

advertsfox wrote: »
    Google Photos is designed to backup each and every camera captured photo or video on a phone, that can't be stopped (but thats ok, its excellent). In Settings > Backup and Sync > Device Folders, you can enable / disable any other folder directories (that contains valid media) with a simple on / off switch like so:

Thanks Gerry - I noticed that but for whatever reason only some of my photo folders appear on that list within the Photos app settings - and wouldnt you know it my Kids photo folder does not - I don't know why...

So that wont work I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

djd80 wrote: »
    Thanks Gerry - I noticed that but for whatever reason only some of my photo folders appear on that list within the Photos app settings - and wouldnt you know it my Kids photo folder does not - I don't know why...

So that wont work I'm afraid.
    Where is the "kids" folder stored on your phone? If this directory contains an empty file called ".nomedia", Android will ignore it natively. You can delete this and then Google Photos should detect it.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Where is the "kids" folder stored on your phone? If this directory contains an empty file called ".nomedia", Android will ignore it natively. You can delete this and then Google Photos should detect it.

Its a folder within the DCIM folder on the Phone

There are no .nomedia files - just JPG's and MP4's.

Now that you mention it none of the folders in the DCIM folder appear on the Google Photos list - I wonder will I move it to the root and see what happens then?

• Advertisement

OK well moving it from the DCIM fodler sorted out the issue with Photos not seeing it - thanks for that.

But I stil neeed a solution for backing up as I just re-read Gerrys post and fom the settings I can see that while I can add the Children folder to to be backed up I also have to accept my Camera roll being backed up which I do not want.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    You probably already know this too, but you can set up Google Photos to put "faces" into specific folders within Google Photos too.

I have one for my kids, and any photo uploaded into Google Photos featuring the kids will go into their own folder

This sounds intriguing, but I have some questions before I try it.

How does it determine a photo is a kids photo? Do you tag them individually yourself? Or is Google using AI to determine what it perceives is a kids photo/video?

I'd like to try it out, but would be hesitant if AI is being used. I wouldn't want the wrong photos/videos being chosen (not that I'm hiding anything like) :p

Edit, I just read this article. Is this how it's done?

https://medium.com/gather/use-a-google-photos-live-album-to-more-easily-share-pictures-of-your-kids-or-pets-856541812f88

Advertisement