Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PICK ME A BIKE

Options
  • 31-07-2019 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Looking to get a mtb on ctw at lbs. I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes

Trek roscoe 8 2020 model

Or

Trek procaliber 6 2019 model.

It will my first mtb, have spent the last number of years on the road racing bikes and am looking to try something different.

Suggestions welcome ðŸ‘. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

You might have narrowed it down but there will be plenty along here to try to open it up :)
    Roscoe for me all day as it's a trail bike not a race bike but you might prefer the speed of the procalibre if you are from a road background

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Rosco. Unless you are racing XC then don't buy an XC bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah, it depends on what you intend to do with your bike. A few sentences about what your plan to do and aspire to would give people something to go on. A hard tail XC wouldn't be on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

If you could wait for the 2021 Roscoe which has just been released, anything above 6 looks like a cracking bike

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

Looking to buy my first mtb soon as currently racing road and would like to start variety. Is an xc bike very severe to just cruise around and enjoy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It would be an ideal for the likes of Ballyhoura or the Slieve Bloom trail centres or if you intended xc racing. With more natural trail riding and Enduro style trails you'll struggle. That's not to say it can't be done but you'd be better off buying a bike with a more forgiving geometry if you intend on going beyond trail centre riding. 10+ years ago we all started on xc style hardtails as that was pretty much all there was to start off on but what I wouldn't have given to starting on the bikes we have now so it really depends on what your intention is.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

At 14.65 kg for Trek roscoe 8 2020, its XC geometry with trail bike weight!

I would look more for a trail bike if - far more versatile e.g.

https://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/mountain/laufey/cat/laufey-h10

Advertisement