Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on returning to work after long gap

Options
  • 30-07-2019 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Some background - I was made redundant in 2010. Tbh, it suited our family at the time. We had 2 small Kids, the youngest under 1 who had a medical issue which is now stable.

Fast forward 9 years of (mostly happily) being a SAHM. Now we would like to move house in the next couple of years and it would be better if we had 2 Incomes.

So, I would like to return to the work force. I almost did a few years ago but for a few reasons it did not happen. I want to work Part-Time ideally (up to 4 days a week). My Husband works long hours, commutes and travels abroad a bit for work. We have no family living near us.

I have a Professional Qualification (would rather not say which area) and have done several Courses to keep up to date. But it is not the same as actually doing it in practice.

I am afraid of several things - not getting a job, getting a job but not being able for it due to years of not working, lack of Childcare, the practicalities for our family after years of everyone relying on the fact that Mum is at home.

I would appreciate any advice that would help me when I get the ball rolling in September.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Part-time, family-friendly jobs are very hard to come by - because the people they suit tend to stay in them. But they exist so don't give up.
    The fact you have qualifications works in your favour and could allow you to get a job with more flexibility once the work gets done. You might even be able to work from home occasionally.
    You shouldn't feel there's any pressure on you to get a job or getting a mortgage because these things can take time.

I feel for you a bit because of the lack of help from your family. I guess the best thing to do is play down these concerns to a potential employer. Don't mention the youngest child has a health issue. Tell them you have both kids booked into a creche and maybe a white lie that you have a backup childminder or family member to help out (whether they exist yet or not). Once you're in the job you can find out how flexible your employer is willing to be.
    You could potentially apply for a 5 day a week job and within a few weeks ask to be reduced to 4. Employers have to consider requests for flexible working conditions, and they might appreciate the cost saving if you're able to get your work done in less time. They're less likely to refuse your request once you're all trained up. (Just remember that some employers' hands would be tied and would not consider a request by an employee on probation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

antix80 wrote: »
    Part-time, family-friendly jobs are very hard to come by - because the people they suit tend to stay in them. But they exist so don't give up.
    The fact you have qualifications works in your favour and could allow you to get a job with more flexibility once the work gets done. You might even be able to work from home occasionally.
    You shouldn't feel there's any pressure on you to get a job or getting a mortgage because these things can take time.

I feel for you a bit because of the lack of help from your family. I guess the best thing to do is play down these concerns to a potential employer. Don't mention the youngest child has a health issue. Tell them you have both kids booked into a creche and maybe a white lie that you have a backup childminder or family member to help out (whether they exist yet or not). Once you're in the job you can find out how flexible your employer is willing to be.
    You could potentially apply for a 5 day a week job and within a few weeks ask to be reduced to 4. Employers have to consider requests for flexible working conditions, and they might appreciate the cost saving if you're able to get your work done in less time. They're less likely to refuse your request once you're all trained up. (Just remember that some employers' hands would be tied and would not consider a request by an employee on probation)

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. I have some things to think about but really want to have a plan before I apply for anything.

My Professional Association offers Career Guidance and CV assistance so will be making an appointment with them in early September.

Having spoken to friends who are working, I am getting the feeling that they feel that I should just get an Admin job and forget about my Profession which is something I don't want to do but maybe they are just being realistic ?

I am usually a straight-talking person and my preferred approach would be to say that I am available part-time and see what happens but maybe that too is unrealistic ?

Admin or profession.. It depends on the profession and the opportunities available for part-timers. It makes sense to stick with your profession as the salary can be higher, you'll get more respect and you'll feel better about yourself.
    But I guess an admin job is better than no job and may be more flexible.
    Maybe it wasn't the best advice telling you to apply for full-time jobs and moving to part-time. But remember that you're in a better position to negotiate when you're already in a job. Don't give a potential employer an excuse not to hire you.

Maybe I will try to get a job in my Profession and say that I am available up to 4 days a week and see how I get on. If it is not working, I can always change tack.

I do not want to commute to Dublin as my Husband is already doing this and realistically with no family support it would not work. We live approx 75km from Dublin.

Thanks antix80 for taking the time to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

With the Labour market tight , you could very well get exactly what you want , by being up front and rigid, if you don’t ask you certainly don’t get , so instead of making negative assumptions, think positive and good luck. Also you’ll be well up for the task and perhaps better than the incumbents because you’re not weary from do the job day in, day out for the last 10 years .

Thanks Bigus.

My Husband thinks that I should adopt the "if you don't ask, you don't get" position first and see what happens.

Will try it and can always change tack.

Op you can apply for both kinds of jobs.

Tell the admin interviewer you used to be a (whatever) and here's the transferrable skills you possess.

Tell the professional interviewer that your skills are current and you can't wait to hit the ground running

Even if you get hired in admin first, you can continue jobhunting in the area that interests you

Advertisement