Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value, reliable Android box?

Options
  • 30-07-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

As per title, is there any good value, reliable Android boxes out there currently ? What should I look out for.... Minimum 2gb ram? What else?
    Where is best to buy? Don't fancy waiting 6 weeks for it to come from China and then pay customs. So Amazon /Ebay or other European suppliers. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
    https://osmc.tv/vero/

1st link is a guide to all/(most of) the kodi boxes out there.

2nd link is the one I bought (Vero 4k+). Have it about a month and super happy with it. Approx stg£110 from a UK company. I don't do any 'naughty' streaming etc & no sports. Just movies & music I have locally.

re the Shield - there's a new one coming out soon so factor that into your equations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Mr.S wrote: »
    Nvidia Shield or Mi Box 4k.

Depending on what you want to do, an Amazon Fire TV could be tick all the boxes.

Budget?

Just want to turn my TV into a "smart tv" to watch Netflix, YouTube etc.... And probably run IPTV (which is not allowed to be discussed here I think).
    Not looking to spend much, max €50 if possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

toby2111 wrote: »
    Just want to turn my TV into a "smart tv" to watch Netflix, YouTube etc.... And probably run IPTV (which is not allowed to be discussed here I think).

Fire Stick 4k is the only thing that fits that budget. The Mibox is a little bit more expensive if you want Android TV. The Fire Stick is Amazon's own version of Android.

Fire Stick 4k is the only thing that fits that budget. The Mibox is a little bit more expensive if you want Android TV. The Fire Stick is Amazon's own version of Android.

Looked to be a few on amazon for under £50 but don't know if they're any good.
    Where's best place to get a Mibox so?

Looked to be a few on amazon for under £50 but don't know if they're any good.
    Where's best place to get a Mibox so?

Amazon

• Advertisement

Avoid that place unless you want to be hit by customs as they ship from China. Buy from Amazon

Avoid that place unless you want to be hit by customs as they ship from China. Buy from Amazon
    But when I press the ship from Europe option,price is €60.18 plus €4.01 delivery(via DPD,shipping 2-7 days)..... I presume it wont get hit with customs if posted from Europe?

But when I press the ship from Europe option,price is €60.18 plus €4.01 delivery(via DPD,shipping 2-7 days)..... I presume it wont get hit with customs if posted from Europe?

Buy from Amazon, you'll be glad you did if you ever have an issue or need to return it. Amazon's customer service is the best there is.

Buy from Amazon, you'll be glad you did if you ever have an issue or need to return it. Amazon's customer service is the best there is.

Have you got a Mibox? Been reading reviews, not great. Problems with lagging, poor frame rates and technical issues.

• Advertisement

Have you got a Mibox? Been reading reviews, not great. Problems with lagging, poor frame rates and technical issues.

Yes, I have a Nvidia shield, a Mibox, a fire stick and a few Chromecasts that are now redundant. I have a usb Ethernet adapter for my Mibox. It handles IPTV smoother than the fire stick and is as good as a Shield on a 720p TV. If you want 4k get a Shield as it's the only device that handles it perfectly

Yes, I have a Nvidia shield, a Mibox, a fire stick and a few Chromecasts that are now redundant. I have a usb Ethernet adapter for my Mibox. It handles IPTV smoother than the fire stick and is as good as a Shield on a 720p TV. If you want 4k get a Shield as it's the only device that handles it perfectly

OK, good to hear that you rate it. Is there no ethernet port on the Mibox? That why you use adapter?

OK, good to hear that you rate it. Is there no ethernet port on the Mibox? That why you use adapter?

Yes, only the Shield has Ethernet. I like to use Ethernet for all media if possible. I use Emby and some of the 1080p content is 40+mbit (4k can top 80mbit) no way I'd be able to sustain that over wireless with 4 users with multiple mobile devices

Yes, only the Shield has Ethernet. I like to use Ethernet for all media if possible. I use Emby and some of the 1080p content is 40+mbit (4k can top 80mbit) no way I'd be able to sustain that over wireless with 4 users with multiple mobile devices

OK, I wouldn't be as tech minded as you but I think I'll take a punt on the Mibox. Would a genetic usb ethernet adapter be OK with it?

OK, I wouldn't be as tech minded as you but I think I'll take a punt on the Mibox. Would a genetic usb ethernet adapter be OK with it?

This is the one recommended, I have this one
    UGREE USB 3.0 Hub With Gigabit 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet, 3-Port USB Adapter RJ45 Lan Network (USB 3.0 Hub with Gigabit Ethernet) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LLUEJFU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4NmqDbG4TKNEY

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

I'm not an expert but one other thing to consider is whether the box can play Netflix etc in 1080p or 4k. Only certified boxes can. The Shield can but price rules it out.

Here's a random link explaining it: Will my Android TV box stream Netflix HD or 4K? And Netflix list from that article.

Mi box will do 1080p and 4k Netflix as it has the DRM certifications but it's not really powerful enough to do 4k well.

glasso wrote: »
    Mi box will do 1080p and 4k Netflix as it has the DRM certifications but it's not really powerful enough to do 4k well.

4K Netflix is fine as Netflix convert all media to less than 25mbit bitrate. 4k from Plex or Emby is a different story as this can exceed 100mbit depending on the source content.

I ordered a Mibox earlier so hopefully I did the right thing! Netflix is important but not necessarily at 4k. Sounds like it'll be fine.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Good choice. Tbh the MiBox is the best alternative if you don't want to shell out for the Shield. Don't stress about getting an ethernet adapter, it's most likely not needed if you're just streaming online content.

As other have said, it will only struggle on 4K output with a high bitrate, so if you have really high quality 4K content that you're playing via Plex or Emby (media players for your own content).

Netflix 4K and all 1080p content will play perfectly.

Cheers. Don't have Plex or Emby, to be honest don't know much about either of them. Heard about Plex but don't have much media.

• Advertisement

Got the Mibox, great wee device. Love the home screen and how I can change it. Very easy to navigate, very happy with it.
    Connection is flying on wifi, ran speed test and its clocking about 80mbps which is great. Located right next to router. Bought a USB ethernet adapter on Ebay (cheap one, about €5) and its only pulling about 10mbps.... Is it because its a cheap one or is there another reason? Always thought wired would be quicker than WiFi...

Got the Mibox, great wee device. Love the home screen and how I can change it. Very easy to navigate, very happy with it.
    Connection is flying on wifi, ran speed test and its clocking about 80mbps which is great. Located right next to router. Bought a USB ethernet adapter on Ebay (cheap one, about €5) and its only pulling about 10mbps.... Is it because its a cheap one or is there another reason? Always thought wired would be quicker than WiFi...

There are reports of lots of usb adapters not having great support and others not working at all. The one I linked is one that's recommended and is usb 3.0, I'd say the one you got is usb 2.0

There are reports of lots of usb adapters not having great support and others not working at all. The one I linked is one that's recommended and is usb 3.0, I'd say the one you got is usb 2.0

Yeh, I ordered one from amazon just there,cheers.
    Any other tips /tricks etc for the Mibox? PM me if it's anything a little bit "dodgy"....

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I used tplink plug adaptors with my android box when i got it. Same story as you tho - wifi was better so stuck with wifi - been working well since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

the Amazon firestick 4k is the best i have tried by a big margin.

the Amazon firestick 4k is the best i have tried by a big margin.

I wouldn't have a fire stick 4k over a Mibox tbh and I have both for IPTV and Emby

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

any recommendations on an iptv seller for a smart tv. Don't want an android box

koppy wrote: »
    any recommendations on an iptv seller for a smart tv. Don't want an android box

This cannot be discussed here

Advertisement