Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No 2019 "Oktoberfest" anywhere at all in Ireland ?

Options
  • 30-07-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭

The cancellation of the Dublin Oktoberfest last week got massive publicity and who knows if it'll really be back next year.

The Oktoberfest Beag though seems to also have fallen to the wayside as they are not promoting or indicating that there's any events this year and their facebook page seems to have dissappeared completely. Am I missing something or is that really the case? They were hopeful in March that they would be coming back in 2019 but they surely would have been selling tickets ages ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

You can buy Erdinger in virtually every pub in Ireland, can't see the need for these, would be like having a Carlsberg festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

none in cork as far as i know they didn't have one last year neither but im with the 2nd poster i don't really see the need for one of these over priced events

was at the 2017 one in cork and taught it was only ok and i enjoy drinking different type beers from all over the world

Just go to a German style xmas market in the UK like Birmingham i found them way better and you get the same german food and litre sized german beer and UK alcohol laws aren't as nanny state as ours ie drinking on the street and a bit longer opening hours

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

You can buy Erdinger in virtually every pub in Ireland, can't see the need for these, would be like having a Carlsberg festival?

and the miserable little mug of beer you get, bag of cans is what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 25,384 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 I didn't lose any sleep when there was a public backlash against Guinness and Arthur's Day. Similarly, I won't shed any tears over the loss of an Erdinger-sponsored piss-up in a tent on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

They have used it as an excuse to rip people off for last few years so won't be missed.

Go to a decent off licence get some nice German beer lidl or Aldi will probably have some nice sausage and pretzels your sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's the Big Grill in August in Herbert Park if you want an evening out. Great selection of beers, and much better BBQ food than Oktoberfest. No polka band (good thing right?). You have to pay in though, keep an eye out for half price deals.

Indoors, Porterhouse used to run a mini Oktoberfest with guest beers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Loss of ability to have a beer event of that scale: bad

Loss of that *specific* event: neutral at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭interlocked

https://www.discoverireland.ie/Whats-On/oktoberfestwest/520212

You won't go wrong with this one, Mescan brew the beer, not an Erdinger in sight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Dead Centre are having an Oktoberfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The Laughter Lounge are also advertising one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I don’t believe for a second that they cancelled the Docklands Oktoberfest event because of rising insurance prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Not losing sleep over this at all, Erdinger festival is all it is! Better off going to local bar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Was it not Paulaner?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Was it not Paulaner?
    George's Dock has had both, but the most recent years have been Erdinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the joke suggestion of a Carlsberg festival - open fish sandwiches, bacon, Lego to play with, forced "hygge" instead of forced "fun", just as annoying music (Aqua etc) - could work. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    On the joke suggestion of a Carlsberg festival - open fish sandwiches, bacon, Lego to play with, forced "hygge" instead of forced "fun", just as annoying music (Aqua etc) - could work. :pac:

And salt licorice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Dead Centre Brewing in Athlone are doing an Oktoberfest this year. Sounds a lot better than the Paulaner festivals. From the eventbrite page:

On September 28th, we'll be running a ticket only celebration of all things German beer with FOUR Dead Centre limited edition beers available on the day as well as a huge selection of German imports that are super-rare on these shores.

edit. Saw someone else mentioned earlier in thread, apologies.

Advertisement