Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a job when not at full health

Options
  • 29-07-2019 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

What would you do in this case? About to start a new job but I've got quite sick over the past few weeks and no sign of it getting better. It has got to the stage where I may no longer be able to work (at least this is how it feels since the pain is so so bad and nobody seems to be able to fix it).

It's a dream job for me, and the thoughts of telling them from day 1 that I'm not well seems wrong, but so does not telling them and potentially making them think that I'm not good enough for the job if my work is slower than usual / not up to my usual standards.

I feel fairly trapped, anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

What would you do in this case? About to start a new job but I've got quite sick over the past few weeks and no sign of it getting better. It has got to the stage where I may no longer be able to work (at least this is how it feels since the pain is so so bad and nobody seems to be able to fix it).

It's a dream job for me, and the thoughts of telling them from day 1 that I'm not well seems wrong, but so does not telling them and potentially making them think that I'm not good enough for the job if my work is slower than usual / not up to my usual standards.

I feel fairly trapped, anyone have any advice?

Sorry you're feeling so unwell.

Without pushing for too much info, how serious is the illness? Has it prevented you from working before?
    I guess only you can really say the limits to which you can push yourself. Does this job involve physical and manual activity?

I know its a dream job for you. But imo nothing is more important than your health. And it sounds like you need more thorough medical assistance if you're regularly in a lot of pain and it's not improving.

Is there any possibility to delay your start date in this job?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nevermindnow

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Sorry you're feeling so unwell.

Without pushing for too much info, how serious is the illness? Has it prevented you from working before?
    I guess only you can really say the limits to which you can push yourself. Does this job involve physical and manual activity?

I know its a dream job for you. But imo nothing is more important than your health. And it sounds like you need more thorough medical assistance if you're regularly in a lot of pain and it's not improving.

Is there any possibility to delay your start date in this job?

It's not something most people would consider that serious, but the pain is unbelievable and constant. It hasn't prevented me before (as in taking a full day off) but it definitely does slow me down at times.

More or less is very bad carpal tunnel and it's an office job (what originally caused it in the first place more than likely).

I'm definitely getting more medical assistance lately but I still don't believe I'll be back to normal before I start the new job and it seems to be getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Have you spoken to your doctor about your situation ? They may...

Tell you that you are unfit at this time to begin working again.

Or

Implement a pain management plan. This may be medication, exercises or a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Same happened to me a couple of years ago but I had a totally different condition. It was most certainly a dream job and a great company to work for with a slim chance to get in if I delayed their. I went for it and it turned out great, I even think it positively changed my health as I was really happy working.

A pain management plan is must, find what works for you and get into a routine.

Advertisement