Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New alarm questions

Options
  • 29-07-2019 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've a 22 year old alarm system and was going to look at getting it updated. I wanted to ask a few questions. I'm still on the fence a bit as the only benefit I can see is mainly the text notification / app support, plus maybe a shiny new bell box outside! The current system is 100%, no false alarms, all working fine.
    Questions:

Currently night mode is a pain, we've to set the whole house first, then disable two zones to turn off the downstairs room PIRs and upstairs window contacts. It means in a house with multiple adults, coordinating this each night. I've had the alarm checked out and this appears to be the only way to get the equivalent of night mode. So, do new systems have the ability to go direct to night mode, even if someone has upstairs windows open and is sleeping and someone else is sitting watching TV and the PIR is going off - But I can still get the downstairs perimeter armed? This would be one improvement I'd upgrade for....

Does a replacement system just change out the panel, keypad and external bell or do installers typically also replace all the shock sensors / contacts? How extensive is the typical replacement? Just so I can gauge quotes and only replace what I have to.

Are there any other benefits to a new alarm system you would note? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

mike_2009 wrote: »
    Hi,

Currently night mode is a pain, we've to set the whole house first, then disable two zones to turn off the downstairs room PIRs and upstairs window contacts. It means in a house with multiple adults, coordinating this each night. I've had the alarm checked out and this appears to be the only way to get the equivalent of night mode. So, do new systems have the ability to go direct to night mode, even if someone has upstairs windows open and is sleeping and someone else is sitting watching TV and the PIR is going off - But I can still get the downstairs perimeter armed? This would be one improvement I'd upgrade for....

I don't know anything about alarm technicalities, but we had one installed fairly recently. We have the downstairs perimeter (doors and windows) on one of the zones and this is our go to setting at night (very easy) when we are in the house. We can open upstairs windows and wander anywhere inside, upstairs or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Donnacha_

you only need replace panel, keypad & bellbox, Newer panels would have a couple of part set options as well as using your phone to arm & disarm the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Perfect! Many Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Many systems now have a couple of part set options. Some up to 4.
    Good systems also have some good isolate/inhibit features that are very easy to use that give you plenty of options .

Advertisement