Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cat coming what do I need?

Options
  • 29-07-2019 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I will be getting a cat at the end of August. He is a neutered male approx 7 months old. He is a gorgeous little man that has stolen my heart. He has always been feral (part of a TNR scheme before i got to know him)but he lived around my workplace and gradually over the last while with feeding him twice a day and spending every spare moment with him he comes running to me and lets me rub him and he loves it.
    I swore after my beautiful best friend of a Springer spaniel died in January there would never be another pet but I can't turn my back on this little guy as I heard rumblings he was about to be 'removed.
    I popped him in a cat carrier and my friend who is cat crazy has offered to mind him until I can take him then. (It's unfortunately just not possible before then for personal reasons)
    So I've been trying to prepare so he is comfortable as I know the initial period of confinement might be hard for him so I've bought the following...
    Cat tree 142 cm high
    Smaller cat tree scratch post with cosy seat 35cm high
    Cave type bed (Aldi)
    Cosy doughnut type bed
    Corner hooded litter tray and ordinary litter tray
    Cat litter clumping type he is currently using.
    Cat carrier
    Feather toy
    Stick type toy
    Microwavable cat heat snuggle pad
    Felix pouches (that's what I've always given him)
    Breakaway collar and bell
    If anyone has adopted a previously feral cat and can think of anything that might be nice for him to help him adjust please let me know. He is doing well in his temporary foster home but he is not getting along too well with her male cat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

bertsmom wrote: »
    I will be getting a cat at the end of August. He is a neutered male approx 7 months old. He is a gorgeous little man that has stolen my heart. He has always been feral (part of a TNR scheme before i got to know him)but he lived around my workplace and gradually over the last while with feeding him twice a day and spending every spare moment with him he comes running to me and lets me rub him and he loves it.
    I swore after my beautiful best friend of a Springer spaniel died in January there would never be another pet but I can't turn my back on this little guy as I heard rumblings he was about to be 'removed.
    I popped him in a cat carrier and my friend who is cat crazy has offered to mind him until I can take him then. (It's unfortunately just not possible before then for personal reasons)
    So I've been trying to prepare so he is comfortable as I know the initial period of confinement might be hard for him so I've bought the following...
    Cat tree 142 cm high
    Smaller cat tree scratch post with cosy seat 35cm high
    Cave type bed (Aldi)
    Cosy doughnut type bed
    Corner hooded litter tray and ordinary litter tray
    Cat litter clumping type he is currently using.
    Cat carrier
    Feather toy
    Stick type toy
    Microwavable cat heat snuggle pad
    Felix pouches (that's what I've always given him)
    Breakaway collar and bell
    If anyone has adopted a previously feral cat and can think of anything that might be nice for him to help him adjust please let me know. He is doing well in his temporary foster home but he is not getting along too well with her male cat.

Honestly, as someone who has taken in two ferals who were literally dead ( I was never into cats but I wouldn't leave any animal in need) that cat has everything and more. Plenty of love, and he is sorted. Check up in vet if that hasn't been done but apart from that? Kudos.

Edit: get him chipped, and register the chip, so many people don't.

And don't bother with Felix, bit of research and on to zooplus, you'll get far better for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

None of mine have any of this...a basic bed although always sleeping on my bed

All he needs is your love. It really is.

My five get raw chicken and supervalu; it is a wide choice and up to you what you feed and if he is used to that and happy, grand.

Good luck.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Congratulations on taking in the little fella, I hope you're looking forward to your new companion! You already have an established relationship which should be a great help, and it sounds like you've prepared well for it.

Cats can have such different personalities and what one kitty loves mightn't be of any interest to another. For example, for our rescue cat we got a horizontal cardboard scratcher and a carpet-type one that we can lean against the wall, as well as the cat trees. She loves scratching the cat trees and the horizontal scratcher but rarely goes for the carpet one (although she loves scratching our actual carpets haha) In fact she loves the horizontal scratcher so much we got a second one.

It could be worth asking your friend who is minding him what he is like when kept indoors and what they think you might need? I wouldn't worry too much though at this stage as it sounds like you have plenty to start with, you can always get more bits and bobs down the line if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

The Aldi cave beds are great, got one at the weekend for our tabby. Might it help for that to be used where he is currently staying so he'd get used to it and have his scent on and it would be familiar then when he'd move to yours.

+1 re the chip. The breakaway collars are good but our tabby is constantly coming home without them. At least having him chipped would help if he went AWOL.

Also as he's only 7 months and presumably will be vet checked etc. it might be worth looking at insurance. Hopefully he'll have a long happy life with you but if stuff comes up it can be expensive. Allianz costs €150pa for our tabby and given that she's indoor/outdoor I think it's worth it.

Zooplus is great for dry food and litter. Maxizoo often have deals on the large boxes of Felix pouches.

Finally, well done for agreeing to be his forever human. All of ours past and present have been rescues too and I'm sure he'll settle in just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If he could be neutered while with your foster friend, that would be ideal - then he will arrive to his new home, ready for settling in

It sounds like you have everything you need - he will soon settle in to his new routine. I would definitely keep him indoors for several weeks until he is familiar with his new home. Are you going to allow him outdoors once settled? If he is calm and settled, you could try to train him on a leash so that you can bring him outside for a little while every day.

Well done to you for rescuing him. As the minder of 2 ex-ferals, who are totally settled and house dwellers, you will be so glad you have him. Loosing a pet is torture, but the years of love and friendship IMO are so worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

A cardboard box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

I think he has everything he needs in you

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

aonb wrote:
    If he could be neutered while with your foster friend, that would be ideal - then he will arrive to his new home, ready for settling in

Thanks so much everyone. I can't wait to have the little man living here.
    He is ear tipped and was neutered as part of a TNR scheme as far as I know. I will definitely get that checked for sure though. I'm thinking he will be indoors only with no contact with any other animals for at least 8 weeks but before his first trip outdoors I will get him a full vet health check.
    He is doing super in his foster home my friend is brilliant.
    Thanks very much everyone for the reassurance I'll lay off the spending now for a while lol. X

Hoboo wrote:
    And don't bother with Felix, bit of research and on to zooplus, you'll get far better for less.

Hobo thanks a mill I just started on Felix as it was all the spar near work had and was better than nothing, every day I put his pic on Facebook incase a family somewhere were looking for him and everyday I hoped another worker would notice him and bring the little guy home to a better life but everyday I'd come out and he would come running to me and if he didn't I wouldn't be able to sleep worrying about him so I guess it's meant to be!
    Funnily enough at first I was so torn by what to do but the moment I decided to give him a home I didn't doubt it for a minute, now I can't wait!

Addle wrote: »
    A cardboard box.

How true. Ours have trees, beds etc. but their favourite is when something is delivered in a cardboard box and we let them have it for a few days to play with.

• Advertisement

Stratvs wrote: »
    How true. Ours have trees, beds etc. but their favourite is when something is delivered in a cardboard box and we let them have it for a few days to play with.

love it this reminds me of when my daughter was about 3/4 xmas night after santa had been

I remember cutting windows and doors in a big cardboard box making a playhouse box cost nothing whatever was inside hundreds that box was the new favourite for a few weeks

Addle wrote: »
    A cardboard box.

and if there is another one inside is, sideways on, it makes a cave ;) My newbies sleep on a straight chair as long as it has a knitted square on it.. must scent of me!

Cats Sleep Anywhere

Cats sleep anywhere, any table, any chair.
    Top of piano, window-ledge, in the middle, on the edge.
    Open drawer, empty shoe, anybody's lap will do.
    Fitted in a cardboard box, in the cupboard with your frocks.
    Anywhere! They don't care! Cats sleep anywhere.

Eleanor Farjeon (1881 - 1965)

Graces7 wrote: »
    Top of piano, window-ledge, in the middle, on the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lbhSyMLR-M

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

There's a hormone spray called Feliway that can make them feel more comfortable, we found it really helped ours when we moved house.

He'll probably find one of his own accord, but while he's getting used to the place he'll definitely want a hiding spot where he feels safe.

Graces7 wrote:
    Cats Sleep Anywhere

Graces7 wrote:
    Cats sleep anywhere, any table, any chair. Top of piano, window-ledge, in the middle, on the edge. Open drawer, empty shoe, anybody's lap will do. Fitted in a cardboard box, in the cupboard with your frocks. Anywhere! They don't care! Cats sleep anywhere.

Graces7 wrote:
    Eleanor Farjeon (1881 - 1965)
    Aw I love that little poem. Made me smile thanks Graces
    quokula wrote:
    There's a hormone spray called Feliway that can make them feel more comfortable, we found it really helped ours when we moved house.

Yes I was thinking of getting that, the only reservation I have is that it's in the air like a plug in and I can't stand those but maby the spray on his bedding etc.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Roll on the little man

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Keep your cardboard boxes to make cat forts, buy a laser pointer of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

you are so good:)
    i hope you have so much fun with this little fellow he sounds an absolute dote.

ours (all 4) are outdoor cats with their own super latge and comfy shed so they use the trees etc for fun and cat necessities.
    we feed felix. sometimes tesco own and sometimes the trays from aldi. plus treats and cheese and ham and chicken. they love it all.

you are so good:)
    i hope you have so much fun with this little fellow he sounds an absolute dote.

ours (all 4) are outdoor cats with their own super latge and comfy shed so they use the trees etc for fun and cat necessities.
    we feed felix. sometimes tesco own and sometimes the trays from aldi. plus treats and cheese and ham and chicken. they love it all.

Much the same here.. I actually have never bought toys etc or special beds; need my pension for their food, and like yours mine live outside and the dwelling is simply a motel...

They climb and race and have lairs and nests..

As I cannot access shops in person I am dependent on supervalu as they deliver but their main food is raw chicken so they do fine,

LOVE MY CATS!

PS a rare doctor visit here y'day and he was outraged my cats come in the house! Rural Ireland can be..... And yes I told him!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Laser pointers are handy to run them around a bit if they haven't been out. They can get very lazy and they have health problems when they get fat.

Well just an update. All is going brilliantly and I'm head over heels in love with my little feline friend.
    I brought her to the vet for microchip and vaccines and she surprised me by saying she wasn't too sure which gender my little cat is but she was leaning far more towards her being a female. Apparently she looks a little different down there! She had a little infection and high temperature so she just received an antibiotic shot and multivitamin that day.
    She is staying indoors until Christmas as that's when I will have holidays from work and will be able to let her in and out and find a routine.
    My little problem I'd love some advice for is this evening playing with heron her cat tree after she got down I found a small white live worm I think tapeworm (thanks Google) so tomorrow im going straight to pet shop to get a dewormer. Do ye recommend any particular kind or avoid any etc.

• Advertisement

I find drontal spot on products very good and effective also very easy to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The Nal wrote: »
    Laser pointers are handy to run them around a bit if they haven't been out. They can get very lazy and they have health problems when they get fat.
    +100. My son and cat spend hours every week with laser play and they both get great enjoyment out of it.

To thine own self be true

jimf wrote:
    I find drontal spot on products very good and effective also very easy to apply

Jimf thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm a bit confused about the difference between tablet dewormer and spot on treatments. Does one protect against fleas and ticks ie the spot on and the other ie the tablet one deworm a cat that already has worms? Sorry for the questions.

Purplemountain thanks for the tip appreciate all the advice I can get as its so different having a cat. Its lovely too tho in a different way from dogs.
    I did get her a laser pointer but she was having none of it lol. Simply wouldn't engage or play with it. She does love her cat tree tho and loves a good game of catch the various feathers on a stick games so I spend time every night after work playing with her and cuddling her.

Jimf thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm a bit confused about the difference between tablet dewormer and spot on treatments. Does one protect against fleas and ticks ie the spot on and the other ie the tablet one deworm a cat that already has worms? Sorry for the questions.

sorry I just found an old box it was droncit for the cats spot on

and drontal for the dogs tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I use Advocate spot on for my cats. Does fleas, ear mites, and worms.
    Well done on giving the cat a loving home. I feed ferals at work too. I've tried to get them tnr'd, but most places only seem concerned with dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Pop back into your vet (no need to take the cat) and the receptionist should be be to give you Advocate spot on for worms and fleas, its more effective than stuff you buy in a pet shop.
    Am surprised the vet didnt mention worming her when you took her for vaccinations.
    I would also consider giving worming tablets to everyone in the house, especially as you’ve been cuddling and handling her a lot, unless you were scrupulous about hand washing afterwards. Just to be on the safe side.

Twomonkeys thanks thats what I will do tomorrow. I had gone first thing this morning and got Parazole but I couldn't get it into her by syringe so I put it through her food but she only ate about half it so even if she eats the rest inan hour or two its probably not very effective if not taken as its meant.
    As regards myself there's only me in the house and I would be very fastidious about handwashing after scooping or changing her litterbox....although maby I have petted her without washing my hands....oh Jesus! Now im worried!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Twomonkeys thanks thats what I will do tomorrow. I had gone first thing this morning and got Parazole but I couldn't get it into her by syringe so I put it through her food but she only ate about half it so even if she eats the rest inan hour or two its probably not very effective if not taken as its meant.
    As regards myself there's only me in the house and I would be very fastidious about handwashing after scooping or changing her litterbox....although maby I have petted her without washing my hands....oh Jesus! Now im worried!!!

Lol, am sure you’re fine, washing your hands thoroughly. I just mentioned it as a precaution for you, seeing as one appeared on her cat tree they’re not just confined to the litter tray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

A cardboard box. Every cat especially kittens need a cardboard box in their life!
    Cut a few holes out for them to stick their paws through. They love it. It's like kids with wrapping paper at Christmas.

Advertisement