Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Year College Student Giving Grinds?

Options
  • 28-07-2019 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I've just finished the LC there and was planning on giving JC/LC grinds next year in Maths, Gaeilge and Chemistry since I'm a solid H1 in those subjects and very familiar with the courses. Any tips in terms of setting up, advertising, pricing, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

I've just finished the LC there and was planning on giving JC/LC grinds next year in Maths, Gaeilge and Chemistry since I'm a solid H1 in those subjects and very familiar with the courses. Any tips in terms of setting up, advertising, pricing, etc?

Don't let the tax man find ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Word of mouth. Keep your advertising to a minimum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Decide whether you will be doing it in your home or their home. If their home, will you charge for travel?

Be very careful being anywhere with someone on your own, for both your sake and theirs. Just take sensible precautions, leave doors open etc..

Prepare your notes in advance and keep adding to them so you have a bank of stuff and don't end up having to do 'bespoke' notes each time.

However, make different sets of notes for different levels and ability levels. For some people they may have just 'missed' one basic concept which is affecting their progress, so try look for that.

If someone comes to you who has been taught a different method of approaching a question (particularly in Maths), please stick with the way their teacher does it, even if you have a method that is better/more efficient.

Be big enough to realise if you are confusing someone, then stop, rather than making it worse. Being good at doing something yourself doesn't always mean you will be good at trying to show others how to do it.

Keep straight with the tax. They always catch up with people. You are unlikely to have to pay any tax since you are probably not working, but don't try and cod them anyway. Best to be open with them.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement