Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat shoes for formal wear?

Options
  • 28-07-2019 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Is it ok to wear flat shoes for a formal occasion? I have bad balance and don’t wear heels. The last time I wore a small wedge I fell so many times that they came off after 30 mins. I’ve been invited to a ball and my dilemma is the shoes! So is it ok? Or a total faux pas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yes of course it is, if somebody tells you otherwise they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Absolutely, use the occasion as a chance to treat yourself and buy a really nice pair.

I broke my ankle recently, and even though I've stopped using the boot and the crutches, I'm still stiff and sore. I won't be wearing heels for a good few weeks yet, so lots of nice flat shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I have reached a stage in my life where I have realised that wearing heels is just uncomfortable and I hate it and I just dont care what people think now and just wear flats. yes, heels look a million times better but watching a girl hobbling around the place in heels that she is clearly uncomfortable in looks far worse!

part of my journey to getting to my no heel stance was to have heels with me for the start of an event where everyone is having a look at the style around them etc. then once things had calmed a bit I had my flats available to change into, so that is always a option. I just found that over time I was putting the flats on earlier and earlier until I eventually just got sense (a sensible decision for me anyway) and did away with the heels altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

A classy pair of patent brogues are a must! Clarks and similar brands always have good stylish flats, as long as u stay from Penny's ones anything would look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    Is it ok to wear flat shoes for a formal occasion? I have bad balance and don’t wear heels. The last time I wore a small wedge I fell so many times that they came off after 30 mins. I’ve been invited to a ball and my dilemma is the shoes! So is it ok? Or a total faux pas?

It is absolutely OK!!! No point in wearing something that you are not comfortable in, especially if you are at risk of causing yourself an injury. Yes, you shall go to the ball and enjoy!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

fmpisces wrote: »
    It is absolutely OK!!! No point in wearing something that you are not comfortable in, especially if you are at risk of causing yourself an injury. Yes, you shall go to the ball and enjoy!:)

Thanks a million :):). I will be way less self conscious about it now! If anyone knows any good place for dressy flats I’d love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Thanks a million :):). I will be way less self conscious about it now! If anyone knows any good place for dressy flats I’d love to know.

You're welcome 😊
    I shop local, Paul Byron or online through Littlewoods. Someone else might have some better ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yes to flats for formal wear!
    And definitely yes to investing in really good ones - cheap flat shoes look even worse than cheap heels for formal wear (in my opinion).
    French Sole do beautiful, classic ballet flats in every conceivable colour - very chic. They also have a range of quirky slippers which would probably be harder to pull off but if they appeal to you, are just fabulous.
    Tory Burch pointy toe flats are gorgeous too - The Outnet have a few pairs in the sale at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Yup, flats all the way for me. I prefer a founder toe as I have huge (EU size 42) feet - the pointy ones look like skis on me

Thanks everyone, going to go for a long gúna with pointed flats. I love those kurt Geiger ones!

Hate hate hate pointy toed shoes :) Every time they swing into fashion, I just grit my teeth and wait until they’re out of fashion again.

They scuff more easily, pinch your toes and they always make me think of those medieval pictures where people wore shoes with curled up toes. Sorry - rant over :)

OP, never mind me, have a great time with lovely new shoes

dudara wrote: »
    Hate hate hate pointy toed shoes :) Every time they swing into fashion, I just grit my teeth and wait until they’re out of fashion again.

They scuff more easily, pinch your toes and they always make me think of those medieval pictures where people wore shoes with curled up toes. Sorry - rant over :)

OP, never mind me, have a great time with lovely new shoes

Thanks! I’m not usually mad about them either but they do look a bit more dressy so I might have to suck it up... maybe peep toe flats would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Thanks! I’m not usually mad about them either but they do look a bit more dressy so I might have to suck it up... maybe peep toe flats would work?

No. They always look casual in my experience.

It’s hard to say if peep toe would work. You’d need to see the entire shoe.

Ok, so pointy and slightly uncomfortable it is! Think I’ll splash or on the kurt Geiger ones. I thought they were fab

Advertisement