Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campsite electric cord

Options
  • 27-07-2019 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

New time camper owner here. Quick question??

Getting one of those orange cords for connecting to campsite electrics. 13 amp or 16 amp. Am I better for going for the 16amp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

adam88 wrote: »

Getting one of those orange cords for connecting to campsite electrics. 13 amp or 16 amp. Am I better for going for the 16amp

Either would be fine unless your using a massive electric heater, oven, bbq etc but 16a is likely made with 2.5mm2 arctic cable and would tolerate more abuse but it will be bulkier and stiffer than the 13a one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Either would be fine unless your using a massive electric heater, oven, bbq etc but 16a is likely made with 2.5mm2 arctic cable and would tolerate more abuse but it will be bulkier and stiffer than the 13a one

Thank you. Probably will get the 16amp one and use it for electric heater. Not a big fan of gas heaters

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sunshinereggae

adam88 wrote: »

A lot of campsites have electric supplies limited to 10A and even down to 6A especially abroad so it is always best to limit your electrical demand to this especially when travelling abroad as it avoids tripping supply. Just because the socket is a 16A blue type does not mean you will get a 16A supply so keep that in mind, also you are not always that near to the socket so a long cable or even two cables that you can connect together if a longer length is needed. If using a cable reel and you have any sort of load its better to unroll it as a it may overheat under load when coiled up. Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

13A would be the standard.

Campsites tend not to have 16A supplies, as previous poster said 10A would be standard but many are below that.

I think a 16A is just adding unnecessary weight and expense.

16A is waterproof. It is the compliant standard for temporary outdoor electrics.
    Have a 13A to 16A fly lead.
    A 16a splitter comes in handy often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement