Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting property transferred into my name

Options
  • 25-07-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

My grand uncle died without a will.

He had a house on an acre of land. My aunt and uncle were here today and it's evident someone is using the land.

We are currently renting a house and my aunt and uncle said we should build on it.

Does anyone know if this would be expensive to get the title transferred or would it be a load of hassle.

It would be advisable to get this done asap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Was your grandmother still allive
    How many children did he have
    Are they all in agreement with the decision
    Have you any cousins on that side and do they also agree

Was your grandfather registeded as the owner
    What legal documentation is there regarding the land

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'd say find a friendly solicitor and drop in for a chat. They can outline options and indeed ask all the questions above and more. IMO that's a matter of urgency based on what your query is and if not tomorrow sometime next week at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

Who currently owns the land? Establishing this is the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

We have a copy of the deeds obtained via land registry. Originals are lost.

He had no family of his own. His next of kin are all nieces and nephews.

He left no will and it was his only asset. He did not have enough funds to even pay for a funeral. His nieces and nephews paid.

There are approx 30 nieces and nephews and probly only 1 or 2 will object

The cottage was derelict prior to his death. He passed away in a nursing home.

blackbox wrote: »
    Who currently owns the land? Establishing this is the first step.

As per land Reg he is the current registered owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’d address the ‘somebody is using the land’ issue post haste.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,188 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they are using it with cattle get the tag numbers and report them to Dept Of Agriculture as stray animals on the land. Farmers are not allowed put animals in some random field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

As per land Reg he is the current registered owner

Who? The grand uncle?
    If this is the case it still needs to go through the legal process to establish who his heir(s) are and if more than one, how it will be divided amongst them.

blackbox wrote: »
    Who? The grand uncle?
    If this is the case it still needs to go through the legal process to establish who his heir(s) are and if more than one, how it will be divided amongst them.

This is what I was thinking.

If they are using it with cattle get the tag numbers and report them to Dept Of Agriculture as stray animals on the land. Farmers are not allowed put animals in some random field.

My mum, who would have been one of the beneficeries, put horses on it about 5 years ago. The adjoining millionaire farmer, kept letting them out and putting his cattle on the land.

Nearly caused Ww3. She got ill and died. It looks like he's using it again for calves.

My aunt and uncle are furious. We were down there a few weeks ago, today when they went he has taken the gates to the house off and replaced them with a padlocked farm gate and has run an electric fence on the inside with the calves in the paddock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

Sounds like the neighbour is attempting to eventually claim adverse possession of the land.

Speak to a solicitor ASAP

Quandary wrote: »
    Sounds like the neighbour is attempting to eventually claim adverse possession of the land.

Speak to a solicitor ASAP

He's dead nearly 20 years but the farmer started trying to claim the land when my last uncle, who lived locally died. He didn't care about the nieces opinions on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

He's dead nearly 20 years but the farmer started trying to claim the land when my last uncle, who lived locally died. He didn't care about the nieces opinions on it

It sounds to me like this man knows exactly what he's doing. The fact that there was no will really makes things even more challenging from your point of view. This man might even make claims that he has had sole use of the land for longer than you think, strengthening his claim even further. If there are other neighbours who are willing to back up his claim then it gets very messy indeed.

The longer you leave it, the weaker your position becomes.

Get onto a solicitor ASAP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Solicitor time. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement