Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyber Security Career Advice

Options
  • 25-07-2019 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I hope this is the right place for this thread, if not then I do apologise.

I am just looking for some advice as to how I could potentially gain employment in a cyber security role potentially the fastest route.

I don't have a degree only PLC in culinary arts(which is as good as nothing). I don't have any IT certifications as of yet. The only IT related professional experience I have is half a year working as a junior software engineer. I had thought myself how to programme, mainly frontend using Mean stack but I would like to get into cyber security. More accurately into a SOC analyst role. In my spare time, I am currently a member of HackerOne and learning bug bounty hunting and the different types of attacks etc...

I had applied to FIT for the cyber security apprenticeship and gotten through their interview stages, aptitude testing etc... and I am on the last stage which is waiting for an employer to potentially take me on and sponsor me for the apprenticeship which might never happen.

What would be the suggestions as to what I should do in order to gain employment in the industry? Do certain certifications or do something else?

Any opinion/suggestion is much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think some of the springboard courses cover it security?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 solidusis

Stheno wrote: »
    I think some of the springboard courses cover it security?

Most of those courses require NFQ lvl 6 or higher and the ones that dont(which I don't know if there are any) seems like their course content is very vague and I am quite skeptical that they might not cover enough content to land a position in security after them.

Advertisement