Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray air show

Options
  • 25-07-2019 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Thinking of trying to get a view or go to the Bray air show this weekend. Would be myself, gf and 6 year old and would need to be sitting rather than standing.

Also, ideally I would drive to and from it.

Anyone any ideas what the best plan? Head to Bray early to get a seat? Plan a picnic for Killiney hill and watch from there?

All advice welcome....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

If you want to drive to it, you would need to be there before 9.
    They close the roads.
    Your best bet is Killiney, especially with a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod noteMoved from AH to Wicklow please follow the local guidelines!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If you're really going to drive, I don't recommend driving anywhere near the seafront. I recommend driving up by Newcourt Road, find parking nearby there/Raheen area, and spectacte from Bray Head. Best views and least traffic to deal with. You can get in and out via the Southern Cross and avoid the majority of traffic.

EDIT: NVM, Newcourt is closed. Been a few years since I was up there, didn't realize

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

redmgar wrote: »
    If you want to drive to it, you would need to be there before 9.
    They close the roads.
    Your best bet is Killiney, especially with a kid.

Cheers, yeah I was looking at the road closures but they have parking in Colaiste Raithlin or something - but I'd imagine that would get full very quickly.

Was thinking of Killiney hill for about 11am if possible.

What time do the planes start flying over at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

is there a good vantage point up the top of one of the hills nearby? maybe walking up to the big cross would be a good bet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I've been to a few, including last year.

There is usually plenty of space on the beach.

If you're on public transport then get there early, I wouldn't drive a car, motorcycle OK.

Bring a blanket for the sand, suncream, sunglasses (for the kid too). Opera glasses (short binoculars) are fun too. Food and drink if you don't want to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

ps does anyone know what time all the good stuff kicks off and finishes? prob cant make it down till round 230pm earliest.

fleet wrote: »

If you're on public transport then get there early, I wouldn't drive a car, motorcycle OK.

Bring a blanket for the sand, suncream, sunglasses (for the kid too). Opera glasses (short binoculars) are fun too. Food and drink if you don't want to buy.

Cheers, I'm surprised by this as thought the beach would be packed. It's certainly an idea to do that and be closer rather than Killiney Hill.

What time is 'early'?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You could park here and walk, this lookout is generally not overcrowded.

Bring a blanket for the sand, suncream, sunglasses (for the kid too). It can get chilly on the beach. Opera glasses (short binoculars) are fun too. Food and drink if you don't want to buy.

The speakers they use to intro the planes are awful, so if you want to hear the MC then get a place close to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have been there for the show a few times. Grand spot!

Thanks, that looks a good idea and not too far of a walk.

Would that area of Bray hill not be packed tho? Was thinking of getting there for around 12, or is that too late?

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Cheers, I'm surprised by this as thought the beach would be packed. It's certainly an idea to do that and be closer rather than Killiney Hill.

What time is 'early'?

The beach will be busy, but you can find space. It's long, people come stay for half and wander off. An hour early would be loads. Just bring enough supplies to stay warm, dry and hydrated.

Know where the public toilets are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Have been a few times. It's very busy, and very noisy, as you would expect.
    If you stay along the seafront there are also other things you could avail of; the funfair, ice creams, cafe's etc.
    I'd recommend public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Thanks, that looks a good idea and not too far of a walk.

Would that area of Bray hill not be packed tho? Was thinking of getting there for around 12, or is that too late?

Sunday last year didn't kick off til after 2pm and was weather delayed as well. The designated carparks are great, a fiver per car and that included a bus down to the seafront, but I'm grateful to Cherryghost for that parking location tip, as I chose to walk rather than wait in the very long queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Bray wanderers are having a free family fun day tomorrow at two. Free entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any preference for either day, looks like Sunday is the bigger of the two days with more planes?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sunday last year didn't kick off til after 2pm and was weather delayed as well. The designated carparks are great, a fiver per car and that included a bus down to the seafront, but I'm grateful to Cherryghost for that parking location tip, as I chose to walk rather than wait in the very long queue.

It's worth noting that they have moved the main car park to the old golf lands and the new school, so it's an easy walk to the seafront from there. The car park at the old Dell factory will be used as an overflow for Sunday only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Aer Lingus jet just passed over Baldonnel with its Aer Corps entourage - very impressive and fairly low.

Wasn't expecting it so no photos!!

Despite the Air Show this weekend not much other action round here, usually much better...

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭mrtom

Looking for the ATC frequency to give me a live feel for the air show:

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw

• Advertisement
Advertisement