Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Career at 34

Options
  • 25-07-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I Currently work as a Senior AR Analyst for a multinational company. Monday to Friday with most nights working extra hours at home.

Pay is good but the Job is boring as hell and after 7 years I have lost all interest in finance so I am looking for a new Career path to take.

I have no leaving cert, I am in the position I am in now due to a Certificate in Credit Management and years of hard work. I can obtain a QQI Level 5 Major to match the leaving cert which is acceptable by the Gardai etc

I have often though about the Gardai but at 34 I am close to the age limit and need to get my QQI before the next intake, unless they raise the age limit!!

I am pretty good with car as my father is a HGV Diesel Fitter by trade and at present I do all my own car work so maybe re train as a mechanic? I am also training for my Private Pilots License however at 70k plus becoming a commercial pilot is bloody expensive.

I would prefer a hands on role - Gardai, Mechanic, FireFighter, Paramedic etc

At 34 am I mad to Re-Train or do I stay bored and carry on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MissDisaster

Your never too old to re-train! Sure the years will still pass wether you change or not and you don’t want to be looking back in 3-4 years thinking “Well, I could be qualified by now if I’d only started back then.”

I’d say go for it.

Mainly because I’m only a few years behind ye and if 34’s too old to retrain I’m ****ed then so! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Im 35 and am have passed the interview for the prison service, just waiting on the fitness test etc, its never too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I don't think 34 is too old to change career.
    I'm older than that and retraining now too, after having a couple of years being a stay at home parent. I don't want to go back to the career I was in before.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

You have 32 years left of working it's a long time to be miserable in your job.

Just one thing to keep in mind is that with physical roles they won't get any easier as you get older

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Petrol Head_Pilot

Never thought about the physical roles v getting older. I do keep fit but that may change as the years go by!

I think getting the QQI Level 5 Major is what I need to do first especially for Gardai, Prison service etc Then choose a new Career

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazzer007

Go for it! Life is too short to work in a job you find incredibly boring. I work in an office job, but I enjoy what I do. I also farm most weekends which allows me to get out and about in the fresh air. I plan to work in my office job 4 days a week and farm the rest. Maybe try and get some level of work experience before you take the jump and take a sabbatical from work for a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I am the same age as the OP and recently changed careers. Moved away from Engineering into I.T. It is very different but enjoying it so far. Lots of training within the company.

Will be studying part-time from September.

I was thinking of asking for a 4 day week and use my day off to study or review my options.

Happy to see others at my age changing jobs, like a poster said I've 30 years left and don't want to be bored!

All jobs have downsides but when you bored overall i'ts mot nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 googleted

Never thought about the physical roles v getting older. I do keep fit but that may change as the years go by!

I think getting the QQI Level 5 Major is what I need to do first especially for Gardai, Prison service etc Then choose a new Career

I believe the intention is to abolish the age limit for joining the Garda, so if that's the case then you could pursue your qualification first without too much fear of the window to join closing on you.

From RTE Dec '18:

Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan has said the Government is to lift the age barrier for entry to An Garda Síochána.

Mr Flanagan said it is one of the recommendations of the Commission on the Future of Policing, which is going to Government shortly.

Entrants to An Garda Síochána must currently be under 35 years of age.

The issue was the basis for a ruling from the European Court of Justice yesterday.

It was examining the case of three men who were refused permission to join the force because they were over 35.

The ECJ ruled that bodies such as the Workplace Relations Commission were entitled to disregard Irish law if it conflicts with European law.

Mr Flanagan said he was "very interested" to read the judgment.

"I believe there are practical measures, as well as the general application for the Department of Justice, and we are addressing those issues," he said.

Emily Logan, Chief Commissioner of the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission, welcomed today's announcement and described it as significant.

"The Commission appeared before the Grand Chamber of the CJEU in Luxembourg in June to represent two of the men at the centre of a decade-long age discrimination case focused on this upper age restriction for entry to An Garda Síochána.

"Where issues of discrimination in relation to age ground or any of the other protected grounds are raised under EU or domestic equality legislation, there must be a consistent basic standard which people can depend on and look to for access to effective remedy."

googleted wrote: »
    I believe the intention is to abolish the age limit for joining the Garda, so if that's the case then you could pursue your qualification first without too much fear of the window to join closing on you.

I wonder will that be in place for next year or when it does change I can simply apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I was on the catering industry, and at 30 decided I didn't want to do it for the rest of my life. I kind of put a plan in place, going to college at night, joined the library etc.

I'm now 45, in a job I love and great company. If you have a plan and are prepared to put work in, it's possible.

There are lots of night time and part time course starting in September, check them all out. You can start at level 6 and build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think you should change career if you want to change career.

This isn't a topic I know very well but I recently spoke to a mechanic who said electric cars have very few moving parts so they're a game changer for the industry. Worth bearing in mind for long term employment prospects as a mechanic I think.

> I would prefer a hands on role - Gardai, Mechanic, FireFighter, Paramedic etc

I think you should go down this route so.

IF you can afford it you could start an apprenticeship too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I started an apprenticeship at 35. I had my reservations at first but i quickly learned your never too old. If you have the opportunity and desire to change career then go for it otherwise you may regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

You have 32 years left of working it's a long time to be miserable in your job.

Just one thing to keep in mind is that with physical roles they won't get any easier as you get older

32 years and the rest. By the time he gets to 66 that won’t be retirement age anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I previously worked in PR for a large Telecoms company in the UK. Went back to college at 30 to study Computer Science. Graduated 4 years ago and do something I love completely now.
    It's never too late to change tack and no point doing something you hate for the rest of your life! I was lucky, in that I had a very supportive partner (now wife) at the time. She helped me emotionally and financially to get through my degree and I couldn't have done it without her.
    Best tip I can give is don't have a baby 6 weeks before your 2nd year exams start :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I definitely don't think 34 is too old to change career if you're not happy with what you're doing...at least I hope not because I'm about to do the same by returning to fulltime education at 40.

I am currently looking at my financial situation to see if I can work part time and study the rest!

My GF is moving in after Christmas so that will relieve some financial pressure at least.

Or I stay here Monday to Friday 9-5 and study at night and weekends!

As mentioned I'll need a level 5 Major to match the leaving cert so what ever path I choose will need this level.

Advertisement