Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Employment Permit - Need P30, help!

Options
  • 24-07-2019 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello! My partner is applying for a General Employment Permit, and has gotten very far, only to have the DBEI respond and say they need a P30 from his employer dated sometime between Jan - April 2019

The problem is (1) the government says they stopped issuing P30s after Jan 2019, but a screenshot of their “SEPA direct deposit” will work (we’re not sure what that is),

(2) the company hiring him is registered and is a Sole Trader, with only one member in the company. My partner would be his only employee, so there would be 2 people in the company. However, as his employer had no employees he’s not sure what to provide.

We’re so close and am looking for any advice at all. We only have a few more weeks to respond, so hoping to figure it out ASAP (and no time to consult a solicitor!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

SEPA is the Single Euro Payments Area, direct debit is what it says on the tin it's the salary moving from employer to employee monthly. Employer will also need to show that usual PAYE deductions are being made and paid to Revenue. Sounds like an accountant is desperately needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Contact Revenue, and ask them to explain Paye Modernisation to DBEI.

A screenshot of the SEPA direct deposit is likely a shot from the employer's banking or payroll system, showing the payments being made to your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Ciaran

A P30 was the employer's (usually monthly) payment to Revenue of the tax deducted from their employees' wages. It sounds like they want a sceenshot of the employer's payment to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

mo2019 wrote: »
    Hello! My partner is applying for a General Employment Permit, and has gotten very far, only to have the DBEI respond and say they need a P30 from his employer dated sometime between Jan - April 2019

The problem is (1) the government says they stopped issuing P30s after Jan 2019, but a screenshot of their “SEPA direct deposit” will work (we’re not sure what that is),

(2) the company hiring him is registered and is a Sole Trader, with only one member in the company. My partner would be his only employee, so there would be 2 people in the company. However, as his employer had no employees he’s not sure what to provide.

We’re so close and am looking for any advice at all. We only have a few more weeks to respond, so hoping to figure it out ASAP (and no time to consult a solicitor!)

This should be the exact wording of what you’ve been asked for -

“P30 or receipt for such return or a statement issued by Revenue Commissioners showing the monthly statutory return made by the employer dated within the 3 month period preceding the application.”

A P30 is one of your options, not your only one.

If your partner is the only employee then will he fall foul of the 50/50 rule?

Copy and paste from their FAQ:

5.2 I am an employer who currently has no employees – can I apply for an employment permit?

The Employment Permits Acts prohibit the issue of an employment permit, irrespective of applicant, unless at time of application 50% or more of the employees of the employer, the Irish branch of the foreign employer and either the contractor or the Irish client of the contractor are EEA nationals. This is more commonly known as the “50/50 rule”.

Given that the employment permits system is to facilitate employers to obtain the skills they require to grow their business it is expected that, other than in the exceptions listed below, the employer, the Irish branch of the foreign employer and either the contractor or the Irish client of the contractor are already active employers in their own right, have current employees and are operating substantive businesses.

In cases where there are currently no employees, employment permits can only be granted in respect of the following exceptions:

Applications for Critical Skills, General or Intra-Company Transfer Employment Permits in respect of a start-up company within 2 years of its establishment (i.e. registered as an employer with the Revenue Commissioners) which are clients companies of Enterprise Ireland or IDA Ireland and which are accompanied by a letter of support from Enterprise Ireland or IDA Ireland confirming that the start-up company will contribute to the further development of employment in the State.

• Applications for Dependant/Partner/Spouse, General, Reactivation or Sport and Cultural Employment Permits where on the day on which the application is made the employer has no employees and the foreign national will be the only employee of the employer and will continue to be the only employee (e.g. eligible carer in a private home).

Advertisement