Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal to do this in the work place

Options
  • 24-07-2019 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi there I am wondering is this normal to do in the work place.

Sending a follow up email on any meeting or chat had in person?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Jaysus we need a bit more context/detail.

Do you mean minutes for a meeting? a 1:1 meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If its something that you need to cover your arse on, its certainly the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Jaysus we need a bit more context/detail.

Do you mean minutes for a meeting? a 1:1 meeting?

A 1 to 1 meeting with others and meeting min with actions.
    mickdw wrote: »
    If its something that you need to cover your arse on, its certainly the way to go.

That's what I have been doing as it has been covering my arse.

I got called into a meeting by my manager and hr over this saying its herasment sending on meeting mins in email or using a onenote shared document (that would be only shared with the coworker who this meeting has taken place with).

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I would regularly send/receive emails after a meeting with action points. Nothing unusual there.

Is the person you are sending the follow-up email to problematic? Are you their manager? Could they be mistaking normal supervision as harassment?

A few years back a colleague had an issue with a staff member who reported to him. After informal "chats" about what was expected of the staff member, he would send an email... "further to our conversation, I expect..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I do it all the time. Completely normal in our office as a way of
    1. Logging the meeting
    2. Logging what people have to do before the next

They are basically minutes

• Advertisement

I send these follow up emails to all my Co workers as I have been told to this by Sr management.

Very problematic person brecks every policy under the sun. Not there manager but I have governance over a lot of his role.

As I am very insulted by what this person has reported me for. As I am not someone to insult, bully or give harassment to anyone.

Sounds like you need to keep sending those emails to cover yourself.

Is the complaint against you progressing? Will you have the opportunity to explain the need for these follow-up emails?

If you can get something in writing from senior management to support your position...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

Your manager and hr need to read up what actually constitutes harassment..

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/harassment_at_work.html

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Yup I do it for every meeting I attend.
    Start with issue summary, then points that were discussed. Next questions I have and finally action points agreed.
    Every project/issue meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Minutes of a meeting would normally be sent on.. informal chats might be sent on as a reminder.

• Advertisement

shar01 wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to keep sending those emails to cover yourself.

Is the complaint against you progressing? Will you have the opportunity to explain the need for these follow-up emails?

If you can get something in writing from senior management to support your position...

Yap that's what i have been doing and when the person brecks policy I would add there manager to the email. My own manager has asked me to do is wirtieng.

Already have provided in writing from Sr management

We did cover it yesterday about the follow up emails and I went into detail about every email and I was told why am I going into detail for everyone by hr?
    Odelay wrote: »
    Your manager and hr need to read up what actually constitutes harassment..

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/harassment_at_work.html

Yap they really do. My own manager could learn a thing as he sent a email to me before to stop talking with my hands as its insulting.... I wish I was joking

Yap that's what i have been doing and when the person brecks policy I would add there manager to the email. My own manager has asked me to do is wirtieng.

Already have provided in writing from Sr management

We did cover it yesterday about the follow up emails and I went into detail about every email and I was told why am I going into detail for everyone by hr?

Yap they really do. My own manager could learn a thing as he sent a email to me before to stop talking with my hands as its insulting.... I wish I was joking

Maybe you are going overboard with too much detail. Maybe just bullet-point the actions needed?

shar01 wrote: »
    Maybe you are going overboard with too much detail. Maybe just bullet-point the actions needed?

I have done the detail wtih bullet points and was told to little.

Then I was told to much detail in bullet points.

I asked for the next meeting can I bring my solicitor in to the next meeting I was refused saying they can't be on company grounds. Do you find this odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

mickdw wrote: »

Nail on the head there.

I always perk attention fold someone sends a follow up email to what seemed a simple conversation about something, can often mean there was more involved or the **** may hit the fan down the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I send these follow up emails to all my Co workers as I have been told to this by Sr management.

Very problematic person brecks every policy under the sun. Not there manager but I have governance over a lot of his role.

As I am very insulted by what this person has reported me for. As I am not someone to insult, bully or give harassment to anyone.

Get you snr manager to discuss with HR to clarify. There is obviously more going on here than minutes of
    a meeting.

There is a lot of odd things happening in the work place.

And when I smell a rat I smell a rat.

I just get the felling they have been trying to fire me for months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

What are you writing specifically in these emails - could they be seen as personal attacks against said person?

Minutes are usually short and to the point with action items.

Either you said something wrong or hr don't have a clue what they are on about..

eoinob50 wrote: »
    What are you writing specifically in these emails - could they be seen as personal attacks against said person?

Minutes are usually short and to the point with action items.

Either you said something wrong or hr don't have a clue what they are on about..

Stuff would be results from the month and follow up actions and any q and a on the above.

Updates and policy changes with q and a.

Stuff that happens in the office with follow up actions by me and actions that are needed by them.

The same person would never reply to any email. Hr have told me that's my fault that they won't reply to me. My reply is after all there is no I in team and I have been trying to work with them but if someone refuses and does there own thing.

Also I have been asked by a lot of Co workers am I there manager as you have the final decision on things and they also come to me when there reporting them not doing things.. My reply is that I am not there manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Stuff would be results from the month and follow up actions and any q and a on the above.

Updates and policy changes with q and a.

Stuff that happens in the office with follow up actions by me and actions that are needed by them.

The same person would never reply to any email. Hr have told me that's my fault that they won't reply to me. My reply is after all there is no I in team and I have been trying to work with them but if someone refuses and does there own thing.

Also I have been asked by a lot of Co workers am I there manager as you have the final decision on things and they also come to me when there reporting them not doing things.. My reply is that I am not there manager.

Either the contents of your email are worded badly or someone has something against you.

Been called into to a meeting with a manager and HR over minutes is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

eoinob50 wrote: »
    Either the contents of your email are worded badly or someone has something against you.

Been called into to a meeting with a manager and HR over minutes is ridiculous

I suspect the OP isn't talking about minutes after meetings, but that every time he talks to somebody at all he turns around and sends an email detailing what was said. And that everybody else does think this is way over the top.

We all know the difference between a "meeting" and just some people discussing a few things, if I stopped to ask Joe Bloggs a question and he then sent an email to my boss detailing what I asked I would be a bit pissed off as well. If it was happening after every single interaction I wonder what the hell was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I suspect the OP isn't talking about minutes after meetings, but that every time he talks to somebody at all he turns around and sends an email detailing what was said. And that everybody else does think this is way over the top.

We all know the difference between a "meeting" and just some people discussing a few things, if I stopped to ask Joe Bloggs a question and he then sent an email to my boss detailing what I asked I would be a bit pissed off as well. If it was happening after every single interaction I wonder what the hell was going on.

Also might give the impression the employee is being targeted/micromanaged and being treated differently to other employees. If I was getting a formal record of all conversations, results, infringements sent to me on a daily basis, I think I would also see it as a form of harassment, particularly if others were not receiving same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

I have done the detail wtih bullet points and was told to little.

Then I was told to much detail in bullet points.

I asked for the next meeting can I bring my solicitor in to the next meeting I was refused saying they can't be on company grounds. Do you find this odd?

They don’t have to entertain your solicitor at all. Nothing strange in that, it would be odd for someone to request to bring their solicitor.
    If it is a disclipenary meeting you are allowed representation form a coworker.

Odelay wrote: »
    They don’t have to entertain your solicitor at all. Nothing strange in that, it would be odd for someone to request to bring their solicitor.
    If it is a disclipenary meeting you are allowed representation form a coworker.

They have also refused a Co worker when I asked for one to sit in with me on the meeting.

But the reason I send emails after chats is that my manager has made up a lot of lies about things I have said to people in the past. I have asked them to provide proof of these things I said and they started screaming at me saying never mind the proof and stuff like that.

The same manager also said to me to stop talking with my hands. Insulted me in front of Co workers. They also message me none stop when I am on hoildays asking quastions about things that I sent in a email before my hoilday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Dav010 wrote: »
    Also might give the impression the employee is being targeted/micromanaged and being treated differently to other employees. If I was getting a formal record of all conversations, results, infringements sent to me on a daily basis, I think I would also see it as a form of harassment, particularly if others were not receiving same.

I think I see what the issue is here. How long are you in the job? I've the impression that this is a new post for you and you may be approaching things too literally. Detailing every single discussion with a bulleted memo sounds like overkill and the other employees are not accustomed to such micro management. Following up on task responsibilities using this method has the opposite desired effect, which is why your emails are never replied to. Staff probably have enough on their plate to constantly reply to or read overly detailed minutes of what may be casual and normal day to day work situations. You may be quite young and your co-workers are probably at their jobs a while and may not feel the need to justify their actions or indeed, inactions, by replying to your emails. Keep a diary detailing their inability to follow up on or complete tasks. Or list the minutes and email them to yourself. Then you have a dated record which you can pull out should you need to question other staffs work ethos. If this is a constructive dismissal issue, then you absolutely should be keeping a diary. Watch the wording, spelling and grammar of all your emails. Make sure that there are no mistakes. Badly written emails turn recipients off. If English is not your first language, take the time to double check all emails before sending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

greenpilot wrote: »
    Or list the minutes and email them to yourself. Then you have a dated record which you can pull out should you need to question other staffs work ethos.

Honestly, I would recommend anyone writes down and keeps a record of basic notes fr themselves from any kind of meeting, especially if there's no formal minutes being written. It serves as a way of tracking work for performance reviews etc and a way to have dated records, especially if you write them on the day in a word file (that tracks edits etc. by date).

You do need to strike a balance between keeping notes and detailing every interaction in emails to the people you had the interaction with. That would 100% melt my head and like someone else said if it's written in a very pointed way then if it's kept up over long periods of time, it could definitely feel like harassment. If you write those emails in a similar aggressive and defensive tone that you've written your posts in this thread then that's an issue.

The bottom line is, you've been warned to tone them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But the reason I send emails after chats

If you are sending detailed emails to multiple people every time you talk to somebody in the office then you are the problem.

Keep notes all you want, lots of people do that. But stop with the passive aggressive emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭circadian

If you are sending detailed emails to multiple people every time you talk to somebody in the office then you are the problem.

Keep notes all you want, lots of people do that. But stop with the passive aggressive emails.

If other staff have previous history of being economical with the truth regarding OP then I'd also be doing this.

OP this sounds similar to somewhere I worked before. It was toxic, staff were constantly throwing each other under the bus and HR were by far the worst. I began doing two things, keeping a personal email record of all aggressive/negative/problematic incidents and mailing relevant people regarding discussions about work (not everything, but anything that needed to be highlighted/tracked) usually beginning with "As per our discussion" and asking to agree or clarify what was discussed.

My advice here is to continue covering your ass and start looking elsewhere as this type of environment will destroy you eventually.

Had meeting and provided proof of what really happened to every claim I had proof via email to all and cctv that can be pulled.

I also opened counter claims that I also had proof for.

Again as some say you can consider endless emails as bullying or harassment but it can cover your ass at the same time.

I will keep everyone updated on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It's 100% normal. Even expected.

Unfortunately this mechanism is often used by weasels to say "as agreed.." followed by something that wasn't discussed or agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any decision that was made in a meeting should be on paper/email/logged some other way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement