Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice Grinder

Options
  • 24-07-2019 4:33pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭


    On the lookout for one for spices only (doesn't have to do coffee). I see a neat little Krups 203 in Harvey Norman and also the James Martin on Amazon.

    One requirement would be to grind small (2 tsp) quantities of especially cumin. When I had an old blade type coffee grinder years ago it worked with just about any spice but cumin came through it unscathed! Anyone know if these modern ones will do cumin.

    Also they are both blade types. I'm hearing that for spices a burr type is better, does anyone know if they are available?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 68,713 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    Bought the small one from Nisbets because all the consumer models looked a bit dodgy. Blade type and can even handle cinnamon sticks relatively well - cumin no issue. Smallest practical batch size would be maybe three tablespoons total though... Not sure if there's any that can do two teaspoons


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard


    For quantities that small would you not just use a pestle & mortar?


  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Chelon


    Dial Hard wrote: »
    For quantities that small would you not just use a pestle & mortar?

    I have been doing that but like the idea of a small electric one, which is why I asked the question. The James Martin does have an attachment for small quantities so maybe that would suit better.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen


    Chelon wrote: »
    On the lookout for one for spices only (doesn't have to do coffee). I see a neat little Krups 203 in Harvey Norman and also the James Martin on Amazon.

    One requirement would be to grind small (2 tsp) quantities of especially cumin. When I had an old blade type coffee grinder years ago it worked with just about any spice but cumin came through it unscathed! Anyone know if these modern ones will do cumin.

    Also they are both blade types. I'm hearing that for spices a burr type is better, does anyone know if they are available?

    I had a Krups one for a short time - it didn't last long, it kept overheating and eventually went completely.
    I have one of the James Martin ones now, and it's been going strong for a few years. And yes, it will grind cumin :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*


    Chelon wrote: »
    On the lookout for one for spices only (doesn't have to do coffee). I see a neat little Krups 203 in Harvey Norman and also the James Martin on Amazon.

    One requirement would be to grind small (2 tsp) quantities of especially cumin. When I had an old blade type coffee grinder years ago it worked with just about any spice but cumin came through it unscathed! Anyone know if these modern ones will do cumin.

    Also they are both blade types. I'm hearing that for spices a burr type is better, does anyone know if they are available?

    I've had the Krups 203 for years and it does the job great. For really small quantities you need to up the amount of amount of whole spices you put into it as it won't have enough in it to catch. You're talking about fractions of pence though so no biggy.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Chelon


    I hear what people are saying re grinding bigger quantities, but isn't that the whole point of grinding fresh, ie doing it on a "per meal" basis. So unless you're cooking for a party then in my experience there's very few recipes that would call for more than say 1 tsp of cumin.

    I've got a really small brass hand grinder I got on hols in Turkey and it's ok but a bit fiddly to use.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*


    Yeah but the general consensus would be that if you're only grinding such a tiny amount it would be just as quick using a pestle & mortar. Otherwise you'd just store your aown freshly ground spices in airtight containers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu


    I got one from Lidl and its been fine with small amounts of chai seed (2tsp) Only downside is cleaning it as you can't take the bowl part out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Chelon


    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah but the general consensus would be that if you're only grinding such a tiny amount it would be just as quick using a pestle & mortar. Otherwise you'd just store your aown freshly ground spices in airtight containers.

    Answer is yes for eg cumin but for other spices eg coriander seed you can need several tablespoons per meal, which is why I fancied an electric; so just thinking if it's gonna be sitting there in the kitchen anyway why not try to get one that will do the cumin as well? Thinking the James Martin might be the answer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,980 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu


    My krupps blade one will do a teaspoon of cumin


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree


    I've a cuisinart one. Does 1 dsp cumin no bother. biggest hassle is the gasket on the lid escapes into the dishwasher. alos great for doing ~100g nut butter


Advertisement